Re: what is a trunk frequency?

Posted by zach on September 04, 2000 at 21:09:07:

In Reply to: what is a trunk frequency? posted by casey on August 30, 2000 at 19:14:04:

: what is a trunk frequency? is it something you can only get if you have a special scanner. or can i get it with my radio shack pro 20-40? if i can get trunk frequencies are there any in the kitsap county area?

Naw.. youre not an idiot.. I had the same question about a year ago.
You do have to have a special, trunking-capable radio receiver. A trunking system uses one freq as a control channel that all radios on the system tune to. When a unit (say SPD unit 3-Sam-5 in the South Precinct) keys his mike, the control channel alerts all radios tuned to the South Pcnt channel to switch to a voice frequency where 3-Sam-5 will be transmitting. These frequencies change often. A trunking radio will monitor the control channel and "hop" frequencies according to what "talkgroup" you are tuned to. I dont know if a 2040 is trunking capable..not familiar with that radio. Public safety trunking occurs in the 800MHz band. You should be able to pick up the King County system from Kitsap, not sure though. Maybe someone on this board has info on a Kitsap TRS.

-zach

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:

E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ INTERCEPT WWW BBS ]