Re: LERN and MARS - More additional info

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The original Intercept Northwest BBS ]

Posted by Wiz on September 05, 2001 at 22:49:13:

In Reply to: Re: LERN and MARS - More additional info posted by Hank on September 05, 2001 at 14:21:40:

It is. Both definitions are correct. The Mutual Aid Mars is the one we use.

Wiz

: And all this time I thought MARS was the Military Affiliate Radio System.

: : As Dennis suggests, some more information.... LERN is also tied to the KC/VC, Seattle and EPSCA Trunked radio systems. It is Talk Group 62864. Thus when the trunked systems were installed, LERN was available to users with trunked radios.

: : Same thing for MARS. MARS is Talk Group 62896 on the trunked radio systems.

: : This configuration continues to bridge the gap across different technologies and frequencies and allow users to easily (and quickly) talk with each other.

: : : I didn't see an explanation on the differences so I'll give it a short (and may miss a point or two so someone else chip in, OK?)

: : : LERN -- This is used statewide so various police, sheriff, WSP and other state law 'enforcement' agencies (wildlife, etc) can talk to each other without their dispatchers having to relay information, typically crimes that have just occurred involving vehicles fleeing the scene and crossing jurisdictions. I mostly hear it being used by mobile units. Typical scenario is when a WSP unit wants to talk to a sheriff's deputy or city police officer or vice versa. Last weekend, for example, there was an injury auto accident reported and the dispatcher wasn't sure whether it was in the City of Ephrata or just outside. It was on State Highway 28, which just happens to be Basin Street when inside the city limits. Dispatched both on WSP and City of Ephrata police (two different radio systems). An Ephrata police unit was closer than a WSP unit and responded to check for the need of an ambulance, etc. Turned out it was just outside Ephrata and thus WSP responsibility to respond/investigate. Ephrata police unit reported to his dispatcher it was on state highway but he took responsibility for securing scene, helping injured person, etc. He then called the WSP trooper on LERN to confirm the accident was indeed outside city limits, and the trooper continued to the scene. If the accident had been in city limits, then the Ephrata police officer would have advised the trooper he could cancel. Additionally, LERN is hi-band VHF as most agencies in the state work in that band (as opposed to low-band VHF, UHF or 800 megs).

: : : MARS -- Best analogy I can think of is to think of MARS as a King County-only LERN (mutual aid) system. MARS was set up with three simulcast frequencies (hi-VHF, 453.XXX UHF and 460.XXX UHF). LERN met the needs of most rural agencies because they primarily were on hi VHF, but various King County PDs were on hi VHF, 453 and 460 UHF. With MARS on the three simulcast frequencies, agencies on 453 and 460 did not have to buy hi VHF radios separately. I lived in North King County when the system was activated and I only remember hearing south King County agencies on it at first. Bellevue had a 453-meg system, King County a 460-meg system and various south county PDs were on hi-VHF, and for quite some time I only heard traffic from those east and south King County agencies on MARS. I don't know for sure, but I seem to recall that the Green River killings may have been part of the impetus for MARS.

: :
: : : : OK, I give up, what do the acronyms LERN and MARS stand for and when is LERN used?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The original Intercept Northwest BBS ]