InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website where people have a clue.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

Post subject: New Toy!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:25 am 

well I didnt get the flex radio as there was no one that I could find local to play or give advice on it.

I did however pick up a 756-proIII before they all are gone 2k with power supply and shiped they were 3k 1 year ago, so figured I should bite while I can.

Look fwd to seeing you out there, just wanted to hoot my new toy as I am very excited about it. Interesting was I am in renton and 3 days ago hit a dude in issaquah on 40m, we both laughed and assumed we had long path just to make us feel good :)

but so far got Russia, PR, AK, Florida, NY to name a few. I was rx 59 on Japan, HI, Cuba. Now I just need to snag em!

anywhoo 73 and see ya on the air.

Post subject: Re: New Toy!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:51 pm 

Congrats!

I've been thinking for a while about getting myself an IC-7000 but between that, the tuner, the power supply, and the antenna it's a big investment. I've been waffling about whether I'd really have the time to actually enjoy all the toys....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:50 pm 

the 7000 was a huge factor for me to think about. but in the end its just small and not good for a primary rig, I do all digital so 100% cycle bigger rig more area to get rid of that heat. Also like you mentioned you need a tuner.

today was awesome as a first day on the air with it Russia, NewZealand, and my best ever. Conway Reef!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:32 am 

dog wrote:
Congrats!

I've been thinking for a while about getting myself an IC-7000 but between that, the tuner, the power supply, and the antenna it's a big investment. I've been waffling about whether I'd really have the time to actually enjoy all the toys....

It's not THAT big of an investment... and if you shop around, you can get a used 7000 for a pretty good deal.

The 7000 is a nice radio especially if you need portability. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:05 pm 

well the radio is cheap but I guess that I should preface that statment. if you have nothing, buying a IC7000 (1k$) tuner (200$) cable (100$) antenna (x$)

it adds up, now I had antenna and a tuner, but wanted a good auto tuner. So for me. it was extra cash I could put into a base station or got portable. its a hard choice. In the end I never ever talk on V/UHF so I couldnt justify the 1k on a portable radio I would later on want the better big rig (better meaning base) so I have been there in the cash process. not only that but to drop 1k on a radio in the economy always is a long decision.

the 756 I feel is still portable enough for field day so that was why I stuck with it.