InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t charge money to post classified ads.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

Post subject: Roll call
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:01 pm 
Mr. Bad Example

Yeah, I stole the idea, and yes I have permission, so sound off.

I'm in Pierce County, been listening on and off about 15 years, started with one of those 'world band' radios that had Kent (ValleyComm) marked on the VHF tuning dial at 155.685. Progressed to a Radio Shack Pro-41, then onto the venerable Uniden BC200xlt. Moved into trunking with a Uniden BC235xlt and then the Rat Shack Pro-94, which is still my personal candidate for 'Biggest Piece of Crap Radio EVER'. I upgraded the conventional side of things to a Uniden SC200, which I still use. Bought a close-out Radio Shack Pro-2027 for the nightstand as the sheriff's office I worked for was still VHF-high conventional, later moved it into my office when I moved here. Recently bought a GRE PSR500.

I don't listen as much as I used to, or should. I also don't specialize in one aspect of the hobby; I listen to whatever strikes my fancy. Lately I've been into the technical side of trunking, exploring the IWN and DOD systems, as well as keeping tabs on the growing Pierce Transit system. I only really use a few computer programs to assist the hobby, namely Unitrunker, Pro96com, and PSREdit.

You?

Post subject: Re: Roll call
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:11 pm 
Corporal Cowboy

Nowdays I'm listening with an old Uniden bc200xlt I got off eBay.
Does the job here. Used to do the job there 'til about 2000 or so.
I remember cresting Ryegrass hearing 460.325 (MP 127 for you wetsiders)

I also have a broke FT50 (power button).
And an Icom V-8000.
I need a new HT but haven't decided which. May go with a commercial rig.

I got a bearcat 10 channel crystal on christmas day when I was 12. Heard WSP in a pursuit down from Snoqualmie pass onto the Sea-Brem ferry. That was in the '70s.

Last edited by the Outlaw on Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:25 pm 

I currently live in the U-District in Seattle; I go to the UW; I'm majoring in something nobody's ever heard of. I'm probably the youngest or second youngest active member on these boards. I remember seeing the "advertisment" in the 1999 Radio Shack catalog for scanners, advertising how you could listen to "local heros." It was something in the back of my mind that I thought would be cool. In '07 I remembered this and did some research, as my birthday wish list was pretty empty. I asked for, and received, a Pro-97. This was September 2007. I've gone through a few scanners; a few Pro-97's (down to 2 now), BR330T (upgraded), BCD396T (love it). I've got a bunch of handhelds too--Maxons and Icoms (thanks Nick!). Also have a Yaesu VX-7R but it doesn't get used much.
I started out on Auburn's West hill, listening to the local public safety and got into non-public safety stuff. I'm not a habitual listener. I like finding new stuff and confirming the unknowns. I have a ton of data on the Muckleshoot trunked system. I periodically log the Port of Seattle trunked system, trying to find new stuff that pops up and to confirm the current stuff. Sometimes I do the same with the Seattle/King County system. And that's not to mention the all the conventional stuff I have. I use bcTool to log.

You?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:58 pm 
Angus Cheeseburger

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got my ham novice license in 1958 at the age of 13 (KN7HCF).
Didn't do much with it.

Joined navy in 1967 and was a communications technician (CTM) sationed in California, Florida, Guam &
Japan. Got out of navy in 1973 and got back in to radio.. Now N7UAP. Located in Bellingham, WA.

Have been scanning for over 30 years. Started with crystal scanners. Then bought a Bearcat 210 and
then really got hooked. Have owned and still own many scanners. Was active in the old RCMA group
(WA003).

Was the 1st one to modify the PRO-2004 to do cell.

Still active on Intercept Northwest board.
Work as electronic technician (20 years) Alpha Technologies.
Enjoy monitoring about anything and am always looking for something new to pop up.

Scanners still on hand:
PRO-97
PRO-2055
PRO-26
PRO-2004
PRO-43
PRO-2042
PRO-64
PRO-92
PRO-2026
BC 780XLT
AOR AR8000
AOR AR1000
WELZ WS 2000
(Need to get a digital)

Keep an up to date database on both my PC & Palm for road trips.

Jim N7UAP - Bellingham, WA / InterceptRadio.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:52 am 
Bringer of Light

Hey everyone! My name is Joey and I am located in Yakima, WA. I volunteer here for West Valley Fire-Rescue and love it. For a career, I'm not sure, but I'm only 19 so some would say I have a little time before I need to decide on a career.

I've tested and passed and now have an interview with MACC (Multi-Agency Communications Center) in Moses Lake, WA as a 911 Telecommunicator. Im excited to start something I'm very interested in doing. 2-way radio and public safety -- what more could you want?

I own a few radios...here it goes.

My dad was a deputy with the Yakima County Sheriff's Office until his death in 2004. As a kid, I always went over to my grandparents house and my grandma had scanners all over the place listening mostly to the Sheriff's office. I eventually got interested and received a PRO-79 for Christmas in 2000. Since then, I've evolved into a PRO-95 and most lately a PRO-97.

For the fire department, I own a Kenwood TK-2180 and TK-2170 both with full DTMF keypads. I really like the 2180. The receiver in it at times has outperformed the /\/\ HT-1250's that guys on the dept. use. The 2170 is really light to carry around and it still puts out 5 watts. It has some receive issues that I believe we have narrowed down. But, it works just like the 2180 with channels and I like it and purchased it almost entirely for it's compact size. I also carry a Dept. issued Motorola Minitor 5....what a brick piece of crap. I wish we could figure out what it keeps going off at all hours of the day when the Zetron at dispatch is silent.....

I work for a family fun center here in Yakima where we have a Bumper Boat pond, Go-kart track, batting cages, 18-hole miniature golf course and a 65-game video arcade. To coordinate everything, we use /\/\ SP10's single channel, single watt radios. I of course got one on eBay and paid $40 for my own because I wanted to.

About a month ago I made a website with lights/radio pics. Link: http://www.jrw14493.xtreemhost.com. It's not much but the radio page has Yakima scanner frequencies on it.

Other than that I really enjoy the hobby. Getting my ham license is in my future, sometime. I really enjoyed the the Intercept Northwest meeting we had earlier this month in Kent. I really also enjoyed coming home and telling my girlfriend that there are guys out there that have more antennas and lights on/in their trucks than I do!!

Almost forgot! -- Two Radio Shack PRO-2055's. One in my truck, one in my room. Great unit, mobile version of the PRO-97 so I use Starr's Win97 to program them.

Next...... :beer:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:55 am 

I guess I'm not the youngest one. Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:36 am 
Site Admin

Hey everyone! I started with shortwave & VHF receivers in the late 70's then got a ham license in 1980. A Pacific Northwest frequency database was born in the early 1980's when I realized there were way too many frequencies and way too much unorganized paper all over my desk, and I've been working on it ever since ! Radio has been fun both as a hobby and past profession.

Most of my radios are long gone, here is what I currently monitor with:

ICOM IC7000
AOR AR8200
GRE PSR500
Yaesu VX7R
Kenwood TK785
Tektronix 2714 spectrum analyzer (0-1.8ghz with AM/FM/TV demodulators)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:00 am 

I'm Brian Preston and I reside in Moses Lake, Washington (the armpit of the world!) I have been listening since the late 1980's when I was a news director at a local radio station (KWIQ). Eventually purchased a couple of Uniden scanners. In 2001 I upgraded to the RS Pro-2067. Boy what a GREAT scanner. Still one of my favorites for PL and DPL decode.

Today, I work for Spectrum Communications. My main job is administratvive support, but I do frequency research and enjoy finding new stuff to listen to.

The radios I use most often:

RS - Pro-2067
RS-Pro-92
RS-Pro-2055
Kenwood TK-780
Kenwood TK-7160
Kenwood TK-880
Kenwood TK-863
Kenwood TK-980
Kenwood TK-2180
Kenwood TK-5210 P25 (demo unit I use occassionally)

We are very fortunate here in Eastern Washington. Almost everything is VHF high band, with the exception of Benton County law enforcement.

If I can assist anyone here with information or confirming information from this part of the state, please feel free to ask.

- - - - -
Kenwood/Relm-BK/Vertex-Standard/David Clark/USAlert/Swissphone. Serving You Since 1978!
- - - - -
http://www.scml.us
http://www.insp.com

- - - - -

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:43 am 
Mr. Bad Example

Rich who?

How you liking the 500 thus far?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:51 am 
Site Admin

Wilrobnson wrote:
Rich who?

How you liking the 500 thus far?

Pretty darn good. Best handheld I've ever used. They really put some thought into the design and included all the little handy features. The P25 digital works good too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:19 am 

sound off....

I have been monitoring for as long as I can remember hearing, family is law enforcement for local cities and thusly we always had a radio in the house to monitor family activity and such, I personally started out with a CB hitting the 10m ducts. Later got some hand-me-down radios as family moved up - first one was a old realistic crystal 12 channel. Later to get a programmable 18 channel it was the best thing ever.

Finally got a job that paid and picked up 898 trunker when the kcso finally shut down all the 400mhz systems. Later to get a bcd250 had it stolen (jerks) and replaced with a 996 and then a 15 and 245 jumped into the mix. I also do a lot of HF monitoring and have a few icoms around for that. do a lot of monitoring all over the northwest as I travel a bit with my job.

I am a active amateur radio operator and spend time on local repeaters, currently have a offer on a house with huge trees (antennas!) so I can finally move into HF where I really want to get into the hobby with digi-modes. I also am a VEC (I can certify new hams)

In my spare time I am a computer security nerd and pen-tester. play a lot of wii 360 and board games: currently playing Animal Crossing/waiting for new GTA/munchkin quest

also to start a trend in this thread my shack.
Attachment:
k7mhi.jpg
k7mhi.jpg [ 40.36 KiB | Viewed 4340 times ]

Last edited by SpudGunMan on Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:03 pm 

Me- I started out with a cb base station at 13 and then in the mid 80's got involved with the companies cell phones, moving them when needed, and dealing with their issues as the company fleet mechanic. I was put in charge of the new radio system, a 900 trunking system, and when I left I went to a chain store that did only cellular as the on site service tech.

The 90's started out with me working for Cellular One and then went to a two way shop after AT&T bought us out, where I started with the lower frequencies and began my tower career. The groups I worked around generally had nothing good to say about amateur radio for what ever reason so I didnt get my ticket until 97. That is when I got involved with the K7PP system.

Actually had the sad duty to help disassemble the the ham antennas on top of the Olympic College technical building while I was enrolled there...

Ive worked for Greentree Comm. on the Olympic Peninsula since 99. Monitoring comes with the job but Ive been doing so for so long now it would be difficult to stop...

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:28 pm 

I began scanning in the late 70's with a 4 channel handheld that had vfo knobs to set the frequencies and only ran VHF. It ran quite well to cover the USAF AP and Fire crash while I worked the night shift at workload control. It wasn't very great during the volcano blast in 80, so I upgraded to the pro-2002, pro 2004, Pro-43, Pro-90, Pro-92, Pro-95, Pro-96, BCT-396t, and finally PSR-500.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:31 pm 

Hey, I'm not that old, but when I was a kid in the 60's, my dad showed me how to listen to the San Mateo Co (Calif) sheriff at the upper end of the broadcast band. The cars had those long whips and they dispatched around 1.6 Mhz. I was instantly hooked! Many scanners, dollars and crystals later, I listen to a BC780XLT all day as I work out of a home office.

Back when I was in college, I got to reach scanner buff nirvana. I was a police intern for a local sheriff's dept in Oregon, and was always hanging around dispatch. One Saturday morning, the place was empty and the single dispatcher told me to *gasp* cover the board while she went to a bathroom break! Oh my, looking back I see what trouble everyone could have gotten into, but as it turned out, I just ran a plate for a patrol unit and dispatched animal control. What a kick!

John

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:04 pm 

I'm in Washington County here in Oregon. I have a RadioShack Pro-106 (clone of the PSR500 for those who don't know.)

I monitor OSP, the feds, the trunking systems in Washington, Clackamas, Multnomah , Yamhill, Clark and Marion counties.

I go all over the place with my job so I at least once a year able to listen to the systems in Seattle and other places.