InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that puts patriotism ahead of profits.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:59 pm 
Angus Cheeseburger

http://www.radioworld.com/article/last- ... and/219918

Jim N7UAP - Bellingham, WA / InterceptRadio.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:24 am 

NO. AM radio is not dead. Just wounded and resting on the beach - with the rest of boadcasting stations. The NAB is almost dead -- and will be --i if they do not get behind and give full support to AM stations moving to a new lower FM Band, using TV channels 2 thru 6. TV channels 5 & 6 (76 mhz to 88 mhz) some 60 new FM channels for relocation of AM broadcast stations and TV channels 2 - 4 (54 to 72 mhz) for use by TIS and educational FM stations. 90 new possible channels.

The NAB is not the NAB of years ago. It is less than weak and non-effective. It is a beached whale - along side of all of the AM broadcasting band.

Get rid of the still remaining 1900 "daytimers". then make the minimum power for AM stations 1 KW - both Day and night. Open up a "filing window" to allow existing stations to increase minimum power to 1,000 watts fulltime -- or be relocated to a new FM band channel.

Re-allocate or re-allot - the Clear channels -- or "adjust" the channels to "maximim-ize" the number of 50 KW stations more evenly through-out the US.

Move all low powered AM TIS stations to the new lower FM band. Clean up the AM band. Limit only Full-time use of the AM band with use of a minimum power level of 1,000 watts. Use 530 Khz and the upper AM band channels above 1600 Khz as a "guard band". Add 1710, 1720 and 1730 Khz. to the "extended guard" band. That would be a good start.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:00 pm 

Limit the K-Loves in the amount of translators and the other bible bangers. Why should KACS in Chehalis have both a Class C3 and another LP Class D a few miles away from each other?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:17 pm 

I agree. Get rid of ALL translators. Allow only "on channel - booster" stations -- within the "primary" FM 70 dbu contour. However -- getting rid of or restricting the use of translators -- would "hit the fan" with alot of people. Alot of "noise" at the FCC on this idea. Maybe - use of the possible new Lower FM band - with 90 channels - from 54 to 72 mhz - for local Low powered TIS stations -- could also work for relocation of all LPFM stations as well as all translators. Clear up the FM band - now - before it becomes like the AM band. My almost 50 years in broadcast might have given me some sort of insight by now. I alot of others feel the same way I do. But the big money - radio groups - like Mapleton -- would rather DOWNGRADE -- LGA from 50 KW -- to allow a co-owned 1510 - north of San Francisco -- to receive an upgrade. It would be much better to MOVE the San Francisco 1510 - to a NEW FM channel and keep KGA at 50 KW.