InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t try to hose its users for money.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

Post subject: KUFO- RIP 1989-2011
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:09 pm 

http://www.katu.com/news/business/118024709.html

Post subject: Re: KUFO- RIP 1989-2011
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:57 pm 

KXL AM is now The Game 750. KXL News talk has moved to 101.1 FM.

http://www.kxl.com/KXL-MAKES-EXCLUSIVE- ... FM/9913631

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

KXL has been a fixture on the AM dial for a long time. I wonder if someone else will pick up the 750 AM license after the move to 101.1/95.5. Too bad about KUFO. They were more or less the Portland equivalent of KISW. Over time it seems FM has less rock and more ghetto jive hip hop, which I'm sure is greatly appreciated by all the FM listeners in the penal system.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:17 pm 

Rich wrote:
KXL has been a fixture on the AM dial for a long time. I wonder if someone else will pick up the 750 AM license after the move to 101.1/95.5.

They are still KXL, just a sports format. I don't care to listen to sports talk, but I am glad to hear they are keeping the call letters. KXL has been on the air since the 1920's.

Rich wrote:
Too bad about KUFO. They were more or less the Portland equivalent of KISW. Over time it seems FM has less rock and more ghetto jive hip hop, which I'm sure is greatly appreciated by all the FM listeners in the penal system.

I would say less, Portland has not had a good rock station for some time. We do have 105.9 now, and it has a good playlist, but it is a small playlist. It was nice for the first few days of monitoring, I would hear a song that I had not heard in a long time, and then hear it the next day twice. KGON does have a few good songs in their rotation, but not enough for me to keep my Sirius off after Howard. Eugene, and Bend both have good rock stations, so there is still some hope for us down here.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:46 pm 

n7maq wrote:

Eugene, and Bend both have good rock stations, so there is still some hope for us down here.

Jim

KZEL?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:11 pm 

I have KXL audio from 2009? when a thunderstorm came through and the station went off briefly and then came back on with the EAS message. You can hear the static in the background.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 10:40 pm 

N7QOR wrote:
n7maq wrote:

Eugene, and Bend both have good rock stations, so there is still some hope for us down here.

Jim
KZEL?

Yes, or at least when I used to listen to them a lot.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:43 am 

In more twisty news...KXL now has gone over to KXL-FM Full time and 95.5 "The Game" has gone over to AM and 95.5 now has a new format "Live 95.5" that is like Seattle's "Click"

And you thought radio could not get any weirder...

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:15 am 

KOMO was smart to simulcast both as FM works great in buildings and tunnels and those out in the sticks still get good reception on AM. But if I'm in Hood River, no more KXL news or south of Olympia, no more KIRO news. A phone app would work but not everyone has that kind of money to throw around on a cell plan. It's dressing up a pig but news talk doesn't need an FM signal.

It means the current programmers are out of ideas and had to follow a trend started by stations like KSL of putting talk radio on FM.

They are also running out of money as shuffling stations and laying off people for a syndicated sports show is cheaper than hiring local talent. Stations used to compete, had all kinds of promotions to steal listeners. Smaller stations even had a real news dept that tried to beat the other station to the scene.

Today, they just read an aural version of the local paper over the air. Now it's about keeping the transmitter warm until another buyer is found.