InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t believe its ok to burn the American flag.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:18 pm 

Hello all, This is my first post here. :D

I have a new Scanner (4 days) which is a BCD996XT. I have learned all I need so far by reading the forums and various manuals. I have it set up and scanning but have one question regarding location based scanning using GPS. I l already have the GPS hooked up and communicating. My question is:

When setting up frequencies using Freescan, I have set up all of the locations along the route that I am planning (Brookings to Lincoln City) and have the GPS enabled for all locations. I need to know if I I only need to Enable the GPS with proper coordinates OR if I need to additionally Lock Out those sites until the GPS unlocks them. Since I have not actually traveled with the unit yet, I can't tell if the GPS unlocks sites or if simply having them GPS enabled with proper coordinates does the trick.

I tried to make that clear but I am afraid that I didn't - sorry.

I have learned a lot form this group. Thanks in advance, sorry if I didn't put this in the right place or if this has been covered.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:36 pm 

I don't use Freescan, nor do I own a scanner with GPS built in, but I can say that our site admin, Rich, built a GPS-enabled Freescan file for Washington, Oregon, and California. His own testimony was that "it works great". Might be a duplication of efforts, but a good sample file nonetheless. Check it out:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4841

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:45 am 

Thanks, That is a lot of work. I had seen that but wanted to teach myself first how to do things. I am a full time RV er, and move all over the US. I will not be so fortunate when I move somewhere else. I did get the data base and have studied it and learned from it.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:50 am 

Leave your groups/sites unlocked, with the quick keys selected 'on'. Even though the numbers on the bottom of the display indicate active, the GPS function will cause the proper ones to be skipped. (Uniden needs to add some status display here, maybe a "G/g" in the slots that are GPS-controlled.)

The GPS checks are CPU-intensive, so they're spaced out at noticeably long intervals (somewhat dependent on how many it needs to do). Don't be surprised if the switchover seems a mile or so late due to timing.

Flash