InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t support communism.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

Post subject: Wifi and Rasp pi
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:33 am 

So I'm hoping someone can point me in the direction of a good site for directions or even if it's a good idea. Just Built an ADSB unit using Rasberry Pi 3 Model B using the program from https://www.adsbreceiver.net/ using v2.2.0 it's pretty slick set up since it can walk you thru setting up to feed several sites (Flightaware, Flightradar24, and ADSBexchange...)

Fast forward, SO I have this up and running reporting fine, problem is I don't want to run a run of cat 5 cable around to get to this device, it's fine now for testing and such but a more perm home will not be an easy or fun run to hide cable. These new Pi's look like they have Wifi capabilities... What I would ideally want is to have this thing Hook up to a wifi network without having to run a cord to it. I'm guessing there might be some interference from the device pumping out RF but I think I can separate the receiver antenna enough to help mitigate that issue.

Thoughts or places to look would be much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Wifi and Rasp pi
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:20 am 

safetysaurus wrote:
I'm guessing there might be some interference from the device pumping out RF but I think I can separate the receiver antenna enough to help mitigate that issue.

None whatsoever. The problem is that the Pi 3 on-board wifi is pretty useless when you put a metal case around it since there's no direct attachment for an external antenna. Some people say it works okay but you won't get much in the way of Tx/Rx distance. My unit is only 10ft away and it kept dropping its wireless connection.

The solution is to simply use a USB wifi stick -- but the tricky part is to make sure you get a supported chipset for whatever software you're running. And no, the software isn't created equal. Just because XYZ Linux flavor supports it doesn't mean the necessary dependencies will support wireless networking -- from an "always on" point a view.

Flightaware v3 now supports wifi fully but the chipset support is somewhat limited. I got tired of messing with wifi so I just use an ethernet cable. It's 1000x more reliable and no configuration issues to worry about in software. I don't use the other providers so can't speak for them. Pi 3 users of Flightaware v3 say it's working well for them. I'm presuming they don't use a metal enclosure and/or have a USB adapter.

I'll stick with Ethernet.