InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that respects the Civil Air Patrol and their copyrights.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

Post subject: Wi-Fi everywhere
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:43 am 
Corporal Cowboy

Well, you can just about go anywhere in civilization now days and pick up a signal. No use in trying to maintain a list.
My view is if the wi fi sig is not 'locked up', then it's open for use.
Most hotels now sport signs stating "Free Wi-Fi". Well, that to me means free. Duh.

Post subject: Re: Wi-Fi everywhere
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:14 pm 
kc7bur wrote:
Well, you can just about go anywhere in civilization now days and pick up a signal. No use in trying to maintain a list.
My view is if the wi fi sig is not 'locked up', then it's open for use.
Most hotels now sport signs stating "Free Wi-Fi". Well, that to me means free. Duh.

I wouldn't post a list anyway as they may decide to get wise and password protect it - it's nice to be driving around someplace like The Dalles and pick up a nice signal coming from a motel that can still give you decent upload and download speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:31 am 
Corporal Cowboy

Right- I do use the hotels quite a bit to connect when I roll to Spokane. And once at Spokane, in the downtown core the city offers 2 hours a day free from a 100 block cloud. Very cool. Winthrop has a small cloud and offers 30 minutes for free after viewing some local retail adds. In Republic there are a few spots in the short 'downtown' area. Yelm has a couple, one of my favorites is the laundry-ice cream-espresso place at the 510/507 split. Over in Forks I found one.
My opinion; in a commercial setting it makes a good marketing tool. I will go to a hotel with wi-fi and do my laundry at a place with wi-fi than without.

Post subject: Ahh, but what of VPN...?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:17 am 

WiFi is indeed well on its way to becoming omnipresent in many areas.

However, my big question is still 'How many of those free connections allow a VPN connection to go through?' This is important to me because of my self-hosted setup (as in I can't get to E-mail without going through VPN back to my LAN). A WiFi system that does not permit VPN traffic is nearly useless to me.

So far, I've actually found few systems that will allow it. Of those, some allow IPSec, others allow PPTP. There are a (very) few that will allow both, and there seems to be no consistency even within an organization. The King County Library System's setup is a great example.

The Renton library's system, for reasons that remain unknown to me, does not allow any form of VPN connection to complete.

Keep the peace(es).

Motorola programming and conversion service available. See http://www.bluefeathertech.com/rf.html
"Salvadore Dali's computer has surreal ports..."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:05 am 

kc7gr wrote:
WiFi is indeed well on its way to becoming omnipresent in many areas.

However, my big question is still 'How many of those free connections allow a VPN connection to go through?' This is important to me because of my self-hosted setup (as in I can't get to E-mail without going through VPN back to my LAN). A WiFi system that does not permit VPN traffic is nearly useless to me.

So far, I've actually found few systems that will allow it. Of those, some allow IPSec, others allow PPTP. There are a (very) few that will allow both, and there seems to be no consistency even within an organization. The King County Library System's setup is a great example.

The Renton library's system, for reasons that remain unknown to me, does not allow any form of VPN connection to complete.

Keep the peace(es).

Most people that fail to secure their wireless router also fail to change the IP/password of the setup menu... You can then edit the DMZ/port passthrough to enable VPN... I don't know the legality of all that, I known unauthorized computer access has to come in SOMEWHERE, but I would assume that it would be OK to use the signal, but somewhat questionable to reconfigure the router.... I know it's possible, but I don't mess with other people's stuff...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:04 pm 

Wow- 3 year old post... Do you know how much wifi tech has changed since those posts?

If your WIFI is done right... You shouldn't be too worried. After all, your neighbor probably has an open connection available on his router for the kiddees to hack...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:15 pm 

chpalmer wrote:
If your WIFI is done right... You shouldn't be too worried. After all, your neighbor probably has an open connection available on his router for the kiddees to hack...
I wish. Where I'm at everyone's signal is encrypted. But some people use WEP, so if I wanted to I could join their network.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:39 pm 

Atomic Taco wrote:
chpalmer wrote:
I wish. Where I'm at everyone's signal is encrypted. But some people use WEP, so if I wanted to I could join their network.

If I remember correctly WEP cracking is down to three seconds...

Theres always Safeway....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:19 pm 

good heavens thread from the dead...

the only secure wireless is the wireless that you tunnel your traffic out of ... period.