InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website where people have a clue.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:55 am 

I'm looking for a radio service for a messenger company downtown. It looks like icom has an affordable "dispatch now" service.
Does anyone have a dealer they would recromend or any other radio services?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:17 pm 

trbowest.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:36 am 

Talk to John at Action Communications

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:31 pm 
Bringer of Light

Jerry at Wiztronics

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:36 am 

This was the one that first caught my eye but Im not sure if he is still in business. Talked with him a while back and it sounded like it was a deal that icom had so they could test their radio stuff too. Repeater was on 1001 4th and it was somewhere around $30 / month that included the radio...
http://www.ccommseattle.net/pdf/Dispatc ... ochure.pdf

Also seeing more companies use the bearcom rentals at construction sites and such.

Still looking for radios but might just go with FRS for now unless anyone has any other suggestions.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:15 am 

Tree wrote:
This was the one that first caught my eye but Im not sure if he is still in business.

Nah I think that was for their LTR units but those are gone now. I only see the iDAS (F6061D) units being sold or marketed. There's an iDAS system that can be monitored on UHF with DSDPlus.

Tree wrote:
Still looking for radios but might just go with FRS for now unless anyone has any other suggestions.

http://www.trbowest.com/

It really depends on how wide area you are operating. If you're just talking about downtown Seattle then you might be able to get away with simple UHF analog radios. Digital might extend your range a bit and enhance privacy if you're willing to pay for it.

Otherwise, if you have a small number of employees, you could always go with Zello for PC/Android/iOS devices -- just need WiFI or LTE data.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:30 am 
Mr. Bad Example

nickcarr wrote:
just need WiFI or LTE data.

Or, as I've proven, 4G or even 3G.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:59 am 

Im testing a repeater soon that appears it will cover Seattle very well. Just waiting on a license.

Ill be doing some walk around testing there soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:51 pm 

Zello is good but we already have enough stuff going on with our phones playing music and seeing the orders. Looking for something more old school like the brick radios. I remember hearing stories about the fcc jumping on some of the messenger companies radios telling them to tone it down. Its too bad Nexthell's iDEN network went away.

Quote:
It really depends on how wide area you are operating. If you're just talking about downtown Seattle then you might be able to get away with simple UHF analog radios. Digital might extend your range a bit and enhance privacy if you're willing to pay for it.

We would probably be set with UHF analog. Were only in the downtown core/south lake union. Whats the easiest way to get set up with that type of radio? Would we have to get a license from the FCC?

Quote:
Im testing a repeater soon that appears it will cover Seattle very well. Just waiting on a license.

If you need help testing we could borrow some radios for a few days and see what the reception is like in some of the apartment buildings and elevators.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:27 am 

Dispatch Now began as a 3 site Passport (Similar to LTR) system. It's owned and operated by ICOM America.

With the demise of Passport and the emergence of trunked NXDN / IDAS, it was converted a couple years ago to trunked IDAS.

Access and service is sold by local ICOM dealers. Personally I would deal with John at Action.

Sites are:
Cougar Mtn
1001 4th Ave
Fife Heights

Loading is very light, one large(ish) customer who uses the system as "backup", basically periodic check ins for readiness and nothing else and some small users.

It's a well built system site-wise and gives decent coverage from each each site.

The purpose is not necessarily to compete with others like TRBOWest, rather to give IA experience as a site operator.

It's been up since 2005

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:41 pm 

chpalmer wrote:

Got my Canada reply back so looks like this license will happen very soon.. PM me if interested. FB6 and IG so will be just community repeater.