InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t try to hose its users for money.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

Post subject: Baldi mystery link
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:20 pm 
Site Admin

The top photo is the old Baldi AT&T site. Note the pair of KS-15676 horn reflectors that appear to be pointed toward Stampede (bottom photo). This link does not appear on any route maps or expired license data. If anybody has been inside the Baldi site I am interested to hear if path names/labels appear on any of the remaining equipment/documentation. Of equal interest is if anyone can confirm KS-15676 reflector horns ever being installed at Stampede or any tower at Stampede being equipped to hold a pair of those heavy monsters. Unfortunately aerial photos of Stampede lack enough detail to be of any help.

Attachment:
baldi.jpg
baldi.jpg [ 116.65 KiB | Viewed 3690 times ]

Post subject: Re: Baldi mystery link
PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:35 pm 

The longlines site was on Hyak (mt?) according to a consultant I was with on Stampede Friday. edit- actually Mt Margaret.

Im looking for it now. There is cellular up there but I don't know of any other commercial two way.

American Tower owned it at one time.

Last edited by chpalmer on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:38 pm 

http://wikimapia.org/32464333/Long-Lines-Tower-Hyak

https://www.google.com/maps/place/47%C2 ... :0x0?hl=en

FCC Tower Registration Number- 1032530

214 ft tall.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:59 am 
Site Admin

At one point I thought this might be possible however the Hyak tower was a repeater connecting Rattlesnake to Cle Elum and was not equipped with a third set of horns. Also, the horn alignment from Baldi points almost exactly at Stampede which is about 15 degrees south of Hyak.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:57 am 

Another point to back your thoughts is that the technician from the company that owns Baldi did state to me that the dish pointed at Stampede. Not the Hyak site. Looking at documentation I see my error.

Attachment:
Baldi2.jpg
Baldi2.jpg [ 62.78 KiB | Viewed 3613 times ]

This is the best picture I have of the floor

Attachment:
BaldiLink.jpg
BaldiLink.jpg [ 89.44 KiB | Viewed 3612 times ]

We walked around the Stampede compound this last Friday and I know there is no trace of any longlines building there past or present. The Kitcom building is first on the right as you drive in. We have equipment on the first building to the left. WSP is at the end and to the left. Building at end straight to the back has US Property stickers.

Last edited by chpalmer on Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:06 am 
Site Admin

This is indeed strange. If there was never a corresponding site at Stampede I would figure the site would be along the line before/beyond Stampede. Only problem with that is there doesn't seem to be one. Another possibility is it was pointed at a passive reflector on Stampede that shot the signal somewhere else. Whatever the case this is interesting in that this is one of a few rare old microwave shots thats not on the route maps and doesn't seem to have a readily apparent path/purpose. Once this one is beat to death I'll have to post the Crystal Mountain mystery. And thanks for the photos, many ex-Long Lines sites are "as abandoned" and not so clean. The only redeeming value of leaving a mess is it often included equipment and documentation.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:47 pm 

At Stampede that building in the bottom of the photo appears to have an antenna in back in that direction of Baldi that doesn't seem to make much sense as well..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:31 pm 

In this picture you can almost make out the horns that had been removed. The structure built in the back is in place of one of the original horns. And to the left you can almost see the left over ring.

Attachment:
IMG_0657.JPG
IMG_0657.JPG [ 44.09 KiB | Viewed 3611 times ]

Im curious if some of the horns could have been re-aimed later for what ever reason. I know that the present owners did try to use a couple of the horns to transport their microwave. They found them leaking too badly though.

I believe there is present microwave (put in by the building owners) to Stampede that is still active.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:32 am 
Site Admin

chpalmer wrote:
Im curious if some of the horns could have been re-aimed later for what ever reason. I know that the present owners did try to use a couple of the horns to transport their microwave. They found them leaking too badly though.

This would make sense. The two horns on the ground are from the Orting and Rattlesnake links. Missing from the photo are two that should be pointed at Ravens Roost. They must have been re-aimed at Stampede after AT&T sold the site.