InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t try to hose its users for money.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:39 pm 

In case anyone is looking to get into ADS-B monitoring there's a great deal thru Amazon currently. Here are the two parts needed.

The first is a custom RTL-SDR (R820T2 chipset + 20db amp) and a 1090 Mhz filter which will be required (especially if you're using an external antenna.)

I've also linked the antenna I use below. I'm using 50ft of LMR-400 coax. (This is the minimum grade coax or you'll probably lose too much signal.) Obviously you'll want to get this antenna up as high as possible with a clear view of the sky.

FlightAware Pro Stick:

http://www.amazon.com/FlightAware-Pro-S ... B01D1ZAP3C

ADS-B Filter:

http://www.amazon.com/ADS-B-1090MHz-Ban ... B010GBQXK8

ADS-B Antenna:

http://dpdproductions.com/page_vhf_air.html#adsbout

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:25 pm 

nickcarr wrote:

This one comes up "unavailable, don't know when we will get more"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:29 pm 

It has been doing that off and on... just keep checking...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:29 pm 

Just received my stick and it's working quite well... probably about a 25% improvement overall... my range has extended by about 50 miles which is impressive considering our topology around here. My frames went from ~3000 to over ~5000 per minute.

Definitely worth picking up!

Here's a plot from tonight -- after running about 7 hours:

The 170 mile distance is a personal record for me at this location... previously it was 146 miles out.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:57 am 

Nick -- have you tried 'whatever it takes' (some program whose name I've forgotten) that allows one to pick up whatever mode military jets transmit so they can be 'seen' in flight? I know there's a whole interest group about that on the Net but forget what it's called. I'm curious because of the C-17 and P3 flights that come into Grant County airport in Moses Lake. Plus I see A-6s from time to time. When the A6s want low-level VFR flights, they do a comm check in to Seattle at 255.40. "seattle center, he's apache-2, a flight of two a6s, entering VR-123 at point bravo at 1823Z at 425 knots, exiting at point papa at 1932Z, over"

Nothing like camping at say, Chiwawa River valley north of Lake Wenatchee, and have a flight of A-6s barreling down the valley at perhaps 200 feet AGL.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:18 am 

KB7ST wrote:
Nick -- have you tried 'whatever it takes' (some program whose name I've forgotten) that allows one to pick up whatever mode military jets transmit so they can be 'seen' in flight? I know there's a whole interest group about that on the Net but forget what it's called. I'm curious because of the C-17 and P3 flights that come into Grant County airport in Moses Lake. Plus I see A-6s from time to time. When the A6s want low-level VFR flights, they do a comm check in to Seattle at 255.40. "seattle center, he's apache-2, a flight of two a6s, entering VR-123 at point bravo at 1823Z at 425 knots, exiting at point papa at 1932Z, over"

Nothing like camping at say, Chiwawa River valley north of Lake Wenatchee, and have a flight of A-6s barreling down the valley at perhaps 200 feet AGL.

Yes, that's what this thread is about. :)

With the appropriate pieces you can set up your own ADS-S monitoring station (manually operated) or buy a Raspberry Pi 3 and use Flightaware to monitor your air traffic in a fully automated operation. FA filters out the military traffic but your *local* station can receive anything/everything that is using ADS-B.

So I see the P3C's out of Whidbey NAS and plenty of C17s and C-130s out of McChord.