InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that puts patriotism ahead of profits.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

Post subject: Puyallup 2018
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:25 pm 

March 10th. Who’s going?

Post subject: Re: Puyallup 2018
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:53 pm 
Mr. Bad Example

Probably a bunch of dorks?

(Wait, were you asking rhetorically, or did you want an answer?)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:14 pm 

I think I am. I went last year and, for the first time, had a table. If you want "good stuff" you really need to buy a table because, as soon as you get your stuff set up, you can wander around and look/buy things before the general public is allowed in. I sold about 80% of the gear I took down there and about half of it sold to the other vendors before the doors opened. I wasn't especially looking to buy anything, I just wanted to clean out a bunch of stuff I wasn't using to get money to buy things I would use. I got the flyer from M&K last week and I'm sending it in early next week.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:55 am 

I'd like to come up again. It's been a few years, maybe drag George and Bob with me from Portland.

- CP

The Spectrum Monitor Magazine
chrisparris@thefedfiles.com

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:09 am 
Mr. Bad Example

KB7AIL wrote:
If you want "good stuff" you really need to buy a table because, as soon as you get your stuff set up, you can wander around and look/buy things before the general public is allowed in. I sold about 80% of the gear I took down there and about half of it sold to the other vendors before the doors opened.

Even if I were planning on attending, this is the reason I probably wouldn't (and will avoid it in the future). That is absolute (redacted). That's long been a reason I avoid buying anything at the "Ham radio/homemade candles/windchimes/survivalist gear/fat people wearing cat urine-stained clothing freakshow". If you're too good to wait a little bit to take my money (and have a chance to raise prices), then (redacted).

And if the "ham club" running it wanted anything resembling a fair market, they would ban selling/buying before the doors open. (redacted) bull(redacted).

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:34 pm 

Wilrobnson wrote:
KB7AIL wrote:
If you want "good stuff" you really need to buy a table because, as soon as you get your stuff set up, you can wander around and look/buy things before the general public is allowed in. I sold about 80% of the gear I took down there and about half of it sold to the other vendors before the doors opened.

Even if I were planning on attending, this is the reason I probably wouldn't (and will avoid it in the future). That is absolute (redacted). That's long been a reason I avoid buying anything at the "Ham radio/homemade candles/windchimes/survivalist gear/fat people wearing cat urine-stained clothing freakshow". If you're too good to wait a little bit to take my money (and have a chance to raise prices), then (redacted).

And if the "ham club" running it wanted anything resembling a fair market, they would ban selling/buying before the doors open. (redacted) bull(redacted).

It's not a fair market. It's a free market. You price your stuff too high, you take it back home. Yes, I think some guys bring a ton of stuff and lay it out on the table with too high prices just to let everyone know how much stuff they have. Then, at the end of the show (about 1:00 PM) take it back to the car and take it home. A bunch of my stuff had been rotting in boxes. I had three or four Kenwood TH-21/31 HTs in a bag plus a whole bunch of related parts. Most of it was in pieces and I couldn't guarantee that it would work or could be made to work. Sold it for $10 and a handshake. Someone is having a good time for a couple of nights. I have $10. Fair deal to me. Sold it before the doors open. If you want the best deals, it is pretty obvious what it is you need to do. If you just want to look at the stuff and maybe buy some jacks or switches or a power cable or what not, come any time you want.

I am just playing by the rules as written. The big camera show that is at Puyallup has club/seller admission, early admission and regular admission. Flea markets and sales have always worked that way- ham radio or not. Regarding appearances, iff you want someone who is younger than 40 to be interested in ham radio as a hobby, do not take them to a ham flea market.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:25 pm 
Mr. Bad Example

I'm not ranting about you, but the flea market in general. Some "free market", you have to pay to get in early posing as a seller to get a better deal.

I've never gone in early with anyone though I've been invited, and I don't buy stuff there. Mocking people is more fun.

The attached file should make me more friends than I know what to do with.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:50 pm 

I'll be there this year!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:23 am 
Scanner Gigolo

I'll be there and that Wil guy doesn't have a ham radio...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:05 pm 

Mark wrote:
I'll be there and that Wil guy doesn't have a ham radio...

He does too... he has a Baofeng!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:39 pm 
Mr. Bad Example

I have a TRX...Does that count?