InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that respects the Civil Air Patrol and their copyrights.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:31 am 

Wilrobnson wrote:
Then it's a good thing I don't have a credit card.

I've always said, the very best defense against ID theft is really bad credit!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:43 am 

Sean wrote:
I plan on being there, and then running up a tab on Wil's credit card

I'll be there too. I will have some radios to sell along with some 800 antenna kits, upstairs somewhere.
Is there a common Intercept freq, talkgroup, time slot, smoke signal, flock of messenger pigeons, etc that people are using up there?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:38 am 

I follow the trail of empty liquor bottles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:38 pm 

Why follow empty bottles? Are you collecting them cuz you got fired? If not, others should be following your empties.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:43 pm 
Scanner Gigolo

I'll be middleish on the back wall.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:01 pm 

My first year sitting behind a table watching the people go by. We have some weird people involved in our hobby. I sold everything that was worth selling by 7:30 AM. I sold some utter crap after 9:00 AM. I had a box of old TH-21/31 handhelds (two worked, others didn't) and a bag with two broken TH-26 series Kenwoods and five or six bad batteries and sold all of it to one guy for $15. He was happy as a clam at high tide. He'll have a few hours of entertainment and amusement for about the price of a decent lunch. And he might make some of it useful. Who knows? Everybody has different motivations.

I turned some gear I didn't need/want into money which I turned into gear I wanted so it was even. My operatives were scouring the tables for a 817 and found one for me. After paying for the table and the 817, I still took home a (small) bag of money. I will never come in at 9:00 AM again.

Jeff KB7AIL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:06 pm 

I struck out big time. Had a bunch of Kenwood and Motorola UHF radios and didn't sell any. No one even tried to haggle with me. I guess there's always Fleabay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:25 am 

KB7AIL wrote:
We have some weird people involved in our hobby.

If you attend any one of a dozen HAM radio meetings around the area then this is the first thing you'll learn... I remember going to my first back in the early 1990s and most of the older gentlemen looked like they worked at Boeing and were still stuck in a 1970s time warp. Dull color shirts, faded jeans or ugly slacks, thick glasses, pocket protectors and that smokey, coffee breath.

At that time, analog reined supreme (there was no digital) but the radios were "fancy" in that they had CTCSS encode and decode "built-in" with sexy "Liquid Crystal Displays" -- with a night light so HAMs wouldn't get scared in the dark! Funny, I remember how most of the older crowd despised the newer technology back then... just as most of us despise digital now. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:28 am 

nickcarr wrote:
KB7AIL wrote:
We have some weird people involved in our hobby.

If you attend any one of a dozen HAM radio meetings around the area then this is the first thing you'll learn... I remember going to my first back in the early 1990s and most of the older gentlemen looked like they worked at Boeing and were still stuck in a 1970s time warp. Dull color shirts, faded jeans or ugly slacks, thick glasses, pocket protectors and that smokey, coffee breath.

At that time, analog reined supreme (there was no digital) but the radios were "fancy" in that they had CTCSS encode and decode "built-in" with sexy "Liquid Crystal Displays" -- with a night light so HAMs wouldn't get scared in the dark! Funny, I remember how most of the older crowd despised the newer technology back then... just as most of us despise digital now. :)

I must have been to some of those meetings. One thing I did not sell was a Yaesu 227R- the Memorizer. Many old duffers walked by and looked longingly at it and told me how great it was. I thought I was being pretty fair by pricing it at $45. Until I was able to see another guy who had a pile of 90s vintage dual banners (TM-721 and such) for $40.

I'm a fan of old codgers and had a good time talking to some of them. When I'm 85 and get a day pass out of The Home, I hope to be one of those guys talking to kids to see what they think. I'm 60 now and like to talk to the guys in their 20s and 30s. I let 'em lead the way and explain what they are doing and throw in a few nuggets of history when appropriate and eventually they act like they want to hear some history. Like when, if you wanted a home computer, you bought a board out of a magazine and then hunted down all the parts and soldered them together yourself and when 'free software' was printed in the back of the magazine and you typed it in yourself. Then they start talking about their "Raspberry Pi" computer and we are on equal ground and are able to discuss something substantive and really learn from each other. We whine a bitch about kids a lot and much of it is deserved but I think we have some sharp ones out there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:05 am 

I showed up for the second straight year. Chatted with a few folks. Sold nothing. Bought nothing. Headed out for pizza and beer with the boys. Overall success.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:59 am 
Mr. Bad Example

Sorry I missed it. Had a door to kick in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:53 pm 
Angus Cheeseburger

Missed it again but sounds like I didn't miss much.

Jim N7UAP - Bellingham, WA / InterceptRadio.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:30 pm 

Just curious if this could be un=stickied and replaced with a 2017 discussion.. ?