InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t abuse the 1st Amendment.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:14 am 

I watched the video and while it sounds cool I won't be trying this until I see a video of it being done, etc. Looks sketchy at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:49 pm 

I had no problem installing Travis' (SchmooCon) firmware. Liking the rig. md380schmoocon.bin is embedded in the PoC|GTFO PDF, just unzip it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:03 pm 

tel0p wrote:
I had no problem installing Travis' (SchmooCon) firmware. Liking the rig. md380schmoocon.bin is embedded in the PoC|GTFO PDF, just unzip it.

Okay so I found the firmware. So once you flash the radio is it always in promiscuous mode? There's nothing special required by the user? i.e. you can program it with no issues?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:17 pm 

Affirm, at least from what I can tell. Had no issue with firmware install. I'm brand new to DMR so am just trying to 'listen, listen, listen' and comprehend. I'm basically hearing (all) anytime 441.2875 has traffic. Even if not scanning. Would LOVE to see your, or other (locals) codeplug (*.rdt), if willing to share.

nickcarr wrote:

So once you flash the radio is it always in promiscuous mode? There's nothing special required by the user? i.e. you can program it with no issues?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:39 pm 

My MD-380 is just that -- I have it setup to listen to commercial DMR. It gets messy when using it with larger systems so my codeplugs are relatively small. Whatever system/company I'm monitoring has its own codeplug if you will.

The new firmware will make that more interesting... especially with larger systems like TRBOWEST. I can monitor the control channel with DSD+ and thus will know when a private call comes through...

I'll give it a shot later tonight and we'll see what happens...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:41 pm 
Mr. Bad Example

nickcarr wrote:
So once you flash the radio is it always in promiscuous mode?

Suddenly I've become extremely interested in this radio...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:10 pm 

Wilrobnson wrote:
Suddenly I've become extremely interested in this radio...

Nuclear Taco ordered one too. :P

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 7:09 pm 

Lets not get to excited over this radio just yet. I think people are over dreaming of what this radio could do if you get the right people together with the skills and know how to rewrite firmware and make it fit on the chip. The CS750 does the same thing that this new firmware does with the exception of the "Talk Back". Remember they got rid of the Chinese language to make this mod fit. Due to hardware memory limitations, I think making this into a "all in one" digital receiver is unrealistic.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:05 pm 

The mod was only a couple bytes changed. They were able to free up ~200kb of NVRAM removing Chinese.
I'm interested to hear others who've modded it and are more familiar (than me) w/ DMR. Mine was $140 (included cable). Heard CS had them for $115 and when this news came out raised them to $165.
luminoxs wrote:
Remember they got rid of the Chinese language to make this mod fit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:25 pm 

Kenwood has a mobile and a HT that will do both P25 and Nexedge. I'm hearing that they are coming out with an option to do DMR as well. So in a nutshell it can do Analog, P25, Nexedge and DMR all in one radio. With that said, I don't know if it can do "monitor mode" on DMR and this radio won't be cheap... I'm hearing over a grand.

As far as the price of the MD-380, this place http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products ... d-380.aspx has it for $135 and add $15 for a programing cable. Ebay has it for $120 with programing cable...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:19 am 

nickcarr wrote:

Well I installed the firmware last night. I had flashed the radio to TRBOWEST and sure enough I started hearing private calls almost immediately. I also learned that it's no wonder why TRBOWEST seems dead when scanning the PUBLIC calls since everyone seems to reply to their dispatcher in PRIVATE!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:35 am 

nickcarr wrote:
nickcarr wrote:

Well I installed the firmware last night. I had flashed the radio to TRBOWEST and sure enough I started hearing private calls almost immediately. I also learned that it's no wonder why TRBOWEST seems dead when scanning the PUBLIC calls since everyone seems to reply to their dispatcher in PRIVATE!

Do you or anyone else have a CS750 and has anyone been able to decode TRBOWEST or other systems in just monitor mode?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:07 pm 

No I don't have any of the CS gear. I heard their audio quality was abysmal and so I avoided them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:59 pm 

Glad to hear confirmation of this. Assume you're just scanning the group of frequencies or using DSD+? As far as wanting to see an MD380 codeplug, just trying to learn how other (more knowledgeable of DMR, locals) are doing it.

nickcarr wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:45 pm 

I'll post a few of mine later tomorrow.

Here you go: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ev6wvriemy7wz ... .zip?raw=1