InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t molest your screen with advertisements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:51 pm 

Very cool! I finally got a chance to use my BC396T to its fullest! I'm listening to the IIMARS - a new P25 system down here in Idaho - where I'm visiting this week.

The audio sounds very different that a convential 800mhz trunk. This system sounds like the guy is right next to you. I'd have to say about 99% of the background noise is not present.

I've only been listening for a few minutes but it's interesting how the 'users' of the system are much more 'open' on the air than in say a normal trunk system.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:29 pm 

you get the same effect with D-Star as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:14 am 

Has Boise and / or the ISP vacated the UHF channels ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:42 pm 

Well when I first got into town, I was searching UHF for traffic. I was able to hear the dispatcher for City of Boise Police - but not the units. The Ada county dispatch was in the clear.

The new IIMARS system is up and running fully. I'm hearing Boise, Ada County, Fire and EMS/Medic dispatch. I'm also hearing Boise Airport traffic as well.

I'm also seeing a lot of encrypted traffic on various ID's. One interesting thing is that the Boise police dispatcher gave noticed that particular unit's conversation with dispatch would be encrypted. She said something like "Alert to all units that 32-23's traffic will be encrypted. Stand by." Then it went silent for minute or two.

So far I've recorded several ID's that seem to be only used for encrypted comms. It's just hard to tell what agency is using them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:20 pm 

Thanks. Sure hope they don't go full encryption. Sounds like we need a few more local Idaho members to help the cause.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:58 pm 

Yes, I have a feeling they might be doing that in the near future.

I will say the system sounds impressive, but there is a bit of 'tweaking' that could be done - but I don't know if that's on the BC396T end. There are quite a few 'pops' and 'bleeps' every now and then.

If I get a chance, I'll try to find out what radios Boise Police are using.

One interesting note: right after I replied today, there was a strong-arm roberry announced over the main dispatch channel. Units responded and they switched to "Baker" channel. The Baker channel was encrypted and I heard nothing at that point. There wasn't even any chatter on the main channel. It doesn't make for exciting listening! :evil: