InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t support communism.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

Post subject: advice to a new ham
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:19 pm 

i will soon be testing July27, for my license, so basically, i know squat! can i get some advice, or recommendations on equipment, and set up? ive already received a kenwood 281A for my first radio. now i need a power supply, antenna, and i guess some RG 8x. trying to get my feet wet, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Post subject: Re: advice to a new ham
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:58 pm 

A good book to start with is the ARRL Operating Manual. It has been kept up to date and has current day methods.

http://www.arrl.org/shop/ARRL-Operating ... th-Edition

Which license are you going for? Personally, since the code has been taken out of the test, I'd study a little longer and get a General. When HF is available, there is so much more to do. Also, a modern HF rig will also have 6, 2 and 70cm and that brings in all the fun of VHF+ operating on SSB, CW and some of the exotic operating modes.

2 meter FM is good but I've found that many repeaters are pretty quiet and go all day without a QSO. Unless you have a bunch of buddies who are going to be there to talk to, 2 meter FM can be sort of a dead end. 2 meter is good for the emergency services thing. If that appeals to you, 2 FM will be fine.

I really would suggest that you get a hold of a copy of the ARRL Operating Manual. It is available through Amazon as well as directly from ARRL. You will get a good picture of what is available and what you might want to do.

Jeff KB7AIL CN88

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:03 am 

thanks for the info Jeff! testing for technician, was going to wing it on the general, and maybe get lucky haha. but maybe ill get the book, study, and go for the general after what you said. can i test out of the operators manual? or is that a separate book?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:55 am 

The Operator's Manual has very little about the actual testing.

The Tech test is enough to make sure you don't hurt yourself. The General has much more about electricity, electronics and radio and is worth the effort.

There are sources for test study online or you could get one of the Gordon West or ARRL manuals. Gordon West has audio material which is pretty good.

Good Luck!

Jeff KB7AIL CN88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:59 pm 

I have seen great success among friends who have used various "practice test" sites on line. Combined with good-old book learning, by using proactice exams you can both learn and gauge your learning, mostly to see where you need to continue studying.

There are many such sites on line, ARRL operates one (I believe).

My personal favorite, though is this site operated by AA9PW.

Good luck, you will do fine!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:16 pm 
Mr. Bad Example

Easiest way that I've found was to take every practice test available, study a bit and memorize the practice test questions and answers.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:29 pm 

billy67 wrote:
can i get some advice, or recommendations on equipment, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Don't take any wooden nickles! :wink:

Good luck man!