InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that puts military & officer safety ahead of profits.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:54 pm 

Found property notice.

I figure this is the most appropriate place to post a found property notice since it's regarding a radio scanner and the owner may possibly visit this site from time to time.

I found a newer model handheld digital trunking radio scanner on 2/9/2017 south Lynnwood/Edmonds hwy 99. I reported finding this scanner to a local police patrol officer in uniform. The police officer stated he considered it "abandoned property" due to the nature of the area the scanner was found at. I stated it was probably worth well over $100, The officer said I could keep it and left. I also reported my finding in person to the business manager of the property where the scanner was found with the police officer present inside this same business. The manager did not show any concern after my reporting, nor did he make any desire, nor any effort to claim this scanner.
I'm trying to make a reasonable effort to locate the legal owner of this scanner. The owner must contact me within 30 days, preferably by replying below this found property posting. The legal owner must identify the scanner by make, model and serial#.

The legal owner must meet at local police precinct during normal business hours and present valid identification for recovery of this scanner.

If legal owner cannot be found within 30 days, the scanner will be placed up for sale shortly thereafter for fair market value.

edited 2/10/2017 5:55pm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:07 pm 

The "officer" you spoke to gave you bad advice...or was too lazy to do the job. Normally these are turned in to the jurisdiction where it is found, a form is given as to whether or not the person finding wishes to claim, and it also lays out the requirements to do so.

RCW 63.21.010
Procedure where finder wishes to claim found property—Appraisal—Surrender of property—Notice of intent to claim—Publication.

(1) Any person who finds property that is not unlawful to possess, the owner of which is unknown, and who wishes to claim the found property, shall:
(a) Within seven days of the finding acquire a signed statement setting forth an appraisal of the current market value of the property prepared by a qualified person engaged in buying or selling like items or by a district court judge, unless the found property is cash; and
(b) Within seven days report the find of property and surrender, if requested, the property and a copy of the evidence of the value of the property to the chief law enforcement officer, or his or her designated representative, of the governmental entity where the property was found, and serve written notice upon the officer of the finder's intent to claim the property if the owner does not make out his or her right to it under this chapter.
(2) Within thirty days of the report the governmental entity shall cause notice of the finding to be published at least once a week for two successive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation in the county where the property was found, unless the appraised value of the property is less than the cost of publishing notice. If the value is less than the cost of publishing notice, the governmental entity may cause notice to be posted or published in other media or formats that do not incur expense to the governmental entity.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:04 pm 

I have ten plus scanners I could not tell you one S/N. well I could but as old as I am I would have to find my reading glasses 1St.