InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t support communism.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

Post subject: electric car vs radios
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:04 am 

Anyone drive a hybrid or electric car? How does it effect scanning and HAM radio operations?

BMW i3 disabled the AM radio [in the US market] "due to negative performance influences of the electromagnetic interference of the electric drivetrain".
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/109 ... o--but-why

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:38 am 

gregz wrote:
Anyone drive a hybrid or electric car? How does it effect scanning and HAM radio operations?

BMW i3 disabled the AM radio [in the US market] "due to negative performance influences of the electromagnetic interference of the electric drivetrain".
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/109 ... o--but-why

I ran a mobile w/ mag mount in Volt with zero issues, all FM Ops (VHF/UHF)

Best damn car I ever divorced

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:28 pm 

Co-worker of mine has a Tesla P85D and from what I have been able to test with it with my Icom R-20, specifically looking for noise, I couldn't find any related to the propulsion system. He also has AM on his factory radio and can barely hear a little noise on certain freqs. Even down here in Portland we were able to hear KOMO from Seattle in his car.

-K

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:17 am 

When I lasted visited San Francisco in 2014, I found out that SFPD had motor unit with the Zero Electric Motorcycle; the officer I was chatting with at Starbucks loves it because its so quiet; during an attempted robbery of lady an alley, he was able to sneak up and well, save the day.

Apparently, what the manufacturer did to provide 12V power for auxillary devices was to install a nice solid state power converter on board; so you have clean, noiseless power coming out of it.

I know back when I drove around a 1995 Dodge Caravan EV, it produced no noise; the reason why was that there was some honking huge filters coming off the motor...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:02 pm 

mrk wrote:
Co-worker of mine has a Tesla P85D and from what I have been able to test with it with my Icom R-20, specifically looking for noise, I couldn't find any related to the propulsion system. He also has AM on his factory radio and can barely hear a little noise on certain freqs. Even down here in Portland we were able to hear KOMO from Seattle in his car.

Of course you realize this is only going to detect emitted RF sources? A lot of issues come from common or differential mode interference usually due to improper grounding (or effective shielding.) Sometimes the only way to know for sure is to hook up a radio. VHF/UHF is fairly easy but HF can be more of a challenge for various reasons.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:16 pm 
Angus Cheeseburger

I have found that if you have an AM/FM radio in the car try tuning to the low end of the AM band to a frequency that does not have a station on it. If you have electrical noise from the car it will show up there.

Jim N7UAP - Bellingham, WA / InterceptRadio.com

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:44 pm 

Jim wrote:
I have found that if you have an AM/FM radio in the car try tuning to the low end of the AM band to a frequency that does not have a station on it. If you have electrical noise from the car it will show up there.

Yup that's generally true. Bonding the vehicle properly will sometimes eliminate a lot of noise issues. Back in 2010, I spent a whole weekend bonding my Durango. I started on a Friday evening only to discover that the factory ground straps were mostly disconnected and just hanging there useless and/or severely broken to the point of them being ineffective. It took several hours but once finished my noise went from S9+ to S2-S3. I must have installed (12) 1" ground braids...

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-tcb10-rt03

(They have longer lengths if needed.)

This is also worth the cost:

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-egk-250