InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t molest your screen with advertisements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:02 pm 

icom1020 wrote:
https://youtu.be/W3IlXUSwQsM

I wonder if they had several talk groups patched together. One thing that I recently learned with a local system when patching two talkgroups: it's reverts to the lowest common denominator... encrypted group and non-encrypted group= Both talk groups are now open air non-encrypted.

I know there are more folks in the know about this but that's just my hunch and can be completely wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:50 pm 
Bringer of Light

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Jim wrote:
Here comes ENCRYPTION !

I still don't see how any gov't agency can legally encrypt their communications without releasing keys or means of monitoring.

You're kidding...right?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:54 pm 

jrw14493 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
Jim wrote:
Here comes ENCRYPTION !

I still don't see how any gov't agency can legally encrypt their communications without releasing keys or means of monitoring.

You're kidding...right?

Considering it's owned by 'We The People' ....

If the audio itself is subject to public disclosure laws, which it is, then they have have no legal basis to deny the ability to monitor real time.

Otherwise you run into issues like Seattle had, releasing video..

They claimed they wouldn't release it because it MIGHT be used against them in court, but they refused to acknowledge it existed, merely said that if it DID exist, they could refuse to release it.... on the grounds that it could be used against them in a legal matter..

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archiv ... ce-beating

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:49 am 

Quote:

If the audio itself is subject to public disclosure laws, which it is, then they have have no legal basis to deny the ability to monitor real time.

I would contend that if the audio itself is made available through public disclosure laws, then there is no legal requirement to allow monitoring in real time.

At least, the "Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press" acknowledged that's the case:

"No legal right - Though access to police records varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction — California, the District of Columbia and Vermont allow access to many police records — police are not legally required to allow journalists or the public access to police radio communications.
There is no federal law that requires public access to police radio, and unless a state’s Freedom of Information law builds a strong case for disclosure of all police records, there is little legal action that can be taken."

This was from a 2012 article discussing the increased use of total encryption in police radio systems.

If there's a more recent court decision regarding this, I'd like to hear about it.

In future radio systems around here (Puget Sound), you'll find most of the main talkgroups will be unencrypted. Some tactical ones will be encrypted. I have no problem with that - as long as the encrypted ones are recorded, and available for public disclosure in the future.

If case law eventually changes that, then so be it.

Brad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:47 pm 
Mr. Bad Example

jrw14493 wrote:
You're kidding...right?

http://www.jaapl.org/content/42/3/338.full.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:11 pm 

Brad wrote:
Quote:

I would contend that if the audio itself is made available through public disclosure laws, then there is no legal requirement to allow monitoring in real time.

But, again, you have issues with agencies saying it doesn't even exist, or choosing NOT to release portions because it opens them up to liability. Why does the gov't need to hide shit? We gonna go with the 'for my safety' BS? :D

Quote:
At least, the "Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press" acknowledged that's the case:

"No legal right - Though access to police records varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction — California, the District of Columbia and Vermont allow access to many police records — police are not legally required to allow journalists or the public access to police radio communications.
There is no federal law that requires public access to police radio, and unless a state’s Freedom of Information law builds a strong case for disclosure of all police records, there is little legal action that can be taken."

This was from a 2012 article discussing the increased use of total encryption in police radio systems.

If there's a more recent court decision regarding this, I'd like to hear about it.

In future radio systems around here (Puget Sound), you'll find most of the main talkgroups will be unencrypted. Some tactical ones will be encrypted. I have no problem with that - as long as the encrypted ones are recorded, and available for public disclosure in the future.

If case law eventually changes that, then so be it.

Brad.

I'm not disagreeing with you that current court cases support that. But current court cases also say that a 'regulation' isn't an infringement. They say that a 3" piece of plastic turns a pistol into a rifle. etc etc

LOL @ Wil.

I'm a Libertarian Constitutionalist, not a nutter sovereign citizen..Although they do have some valid points, most of their shit is way out in left field.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:33 am 

If you're looking for Marcus next spring, look in Portland.

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/new-mega-a ... -portland/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:38 am 

This article is over 3 years old.
Any idea how this case resolved?

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archiv ... ce-beating[/quote]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

Atomic Taco wrote:
If you're looking for Marcus next spring, look in Portland.

http://www.geekwire.com/2015/new-mega-a ... -portland/

True that.....

The arcade resurgence is out of control, making it really difficult for private collectors such as myself. Just a hand full of years ago, you could pick up quality modern pins all day long for less than $1000. Those same machines today are in the $3K+ range. What were $100 PROJECT machines from the early 80's, are now creeping up on $1K. Barcades are everywhere, and the owners are snatching up EVERY machine they can get their hands on. Oh well, such is life.

Have been to Ground Kontrol many times, this new arcade looks like it's going to psycho sized. Thanks for the link.

-Marcus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:26 am 

Sounds like something Wilrobnson would post. From a UPS driver:

Me: I can't accept this return package. It has a USPS label.
Customer: But it arrived UPS.
M: Yes, but now it's being sent back via USPS.
C: But it arrived UPS. This is the label the seller had me print out.
M: It's cheaper for them. You can go online and schedule a pickup with the post office.
C: But it arrived UPS.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:02 pm 
Mr. Bad Example

Since I wasn't really sure where to drop this text conversation I had today:

(W= Wil; B= female acquaintance)

W- "Oh yeah, Emma Stone follows me on Instagram now!"
B- "What Instagram?"
W- "It's not a real account. She just follows me around and I give her Polaroids"
W- "It was a little creepy at first."
W- "But now she's gotten used to it"
B- "You. Are. A. Train. Wreck."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:14 pm 

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say all of these are gone. But were the freqs repurposed?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:47 pm 

Atomic Taco wrote:
If I had to hazard a guess I'd say all of these are gone. But were the freqs repurposed?

I think it's safe to dump them...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:09 pm 
Mr. Bad Example

Does anyone know where in the hell the bookmarks are stored in MS Edge?

C->Users->username->Favorites only produces all the ancient ones I imported when I got "upgraded" to Win10.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:20 pm 
Mr. Bad Example

Disregard. According to this, all my bookmarks are FUBAR.

Quote:
The changes make it impossible to manage, change, add, delete, import, export, backup, restore, save or delete favorites by using just Windows Explorer or File Explorer, as now all favorites are stored in encrypted database, instead of individual .lnk link.

More computer bullshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 290 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next