InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t believe its ok to burn the American flag.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

Post subject: Good HF rig
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:42 am 

Looking to getting an entry level HF rig in the 400$-500$ range (Finally going to get my Amateur License, 11 meter is out of control. Can't have a normal conversation)

From what I am seeing, 500$ for an HF rig is nothing. Escially when I saw that 10,000$ Icom radio (JEEZ!) I wonder how much that new Yeasu is gonna go for?

Anyway, I was leaning towards the Icom-703. I have read reviews for it and it seems that radio has some issues, but a lot of people like it.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:45 pm 

I don't think I left that question open for suggestions......any suggestions on a good one and what to look for in the sea of options?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:25 pm 

I have three HF radios. The DX-390 and DX-394 were under $200 I think, they are OK for broadcast stations, but pretty useless for utility monitoring. I really like the Drake R-8A, I can switch antennas from the front, bandwidth settings are .5, 1.8, 2.3, 4.0 and 6.0. Modes are AM, LSB, USB, CW and RTTY. 440 memeories and it scans. I don't think it's sold anymore though.

Maybe the winradio would be a good option, I think it's under $500

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:15 pm 

I have a friend of mine who uses an ICOM IC718 and loves it! Simple little radio with some decent features! I'm not sure if they still make it under that model number though. Looking around on the ICOM webpage the other day, I think they have re-badged it. The new one should still be somewhere in the same price range. If I remember correctly, the 718 was about $599. Good luck and, when you get your ticket, Welcome to Amateur Radio!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:35 pm 

Addendum- I just looked at the HRO (Ham Radio Outlet) website (because I got curious) and they still have the IC718 in stock for $589 with a $50 mail in rebate to ICOM. The cool thing about this is that it also includes their DSP (Digital Signal Processor) unit with the purchase of the radio. Check it out!

Post subject: HF Rig
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:12 am 

I have to agree that the Icom 718 for the money is one heck of a radio. I have used one for the past four years on PSK31 and RTTY. Read the reviews on eHam.net and you will find many positive comments about the 718 as well. With the DSP feature, it will do just about anything that a more expensive rig will. The only option that you might want to consider is a filter appropriate for your mode of operation. The only downside is that you can only install one filter in the 718 - if you use the stock Icom filters. However there is a third-party supplier who offers a 2-filter option (it's either Inrad or W4RT, can't remember which for sure). The 718 runs a very honest 100 watts, is compact, and a very robust rig. The only thing that you will need in addition is a decent 25 Amp, 12 volt Pwr Supply such as the Astron RS35A.

While I just upgraded to an Icom 756 Pro-3, my 718 is staying in my shack as a back-up rig and as a general coverage receiver. Good luck to you with your General ticket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:23 pm 

Used Drake R8 or used Icom R-75 are good deals. Check EBay.

Post subject: Re: Good HF rig
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:57 pm 

I'm glad that almost 4 years later, I'm still getting replies!!! What a 4 years years it has been!! I bought my radios, had fun, sold them on Ebay, and have no interest in it anymore. Since the FCC is pushing digital so hard, I wonder if its only a matter of time before it's over for everyone. A 30mhz spectrum of truck driver talk??? If it wasn't for the "emergency" aspect of this hobby, I'd almost feel like this would turn into 11m all over again once the changes are written and take effect. I'm sure they can find an allocation for HF.

I got it, lets "skip" internet to 3rd world countries?!?!?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:21 pm 

Larry wrote:
I'm glad that almost 4 years later, I'm still getting replies!!! What a 4 years years it has been!! I bought my radios, had fun, sold them on Ebay, and have no interest in it anymore.

4 years and you didn't once check back in with some information that might help your fellow hobbyists? I guess you did have fun.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:33 pm 

Larry wrote:
4 years and you didn't once check back in with some information that might help your fellow hobbyists? I guess you did have fun.

I see things haven't changed.....oh wait!!! You guys added "smilies" What a great way to try and keep this dying hobby/website up to date.

Ah C'mon Matt, I was just having a little fun with my old post. I thought it was funny that people were still replying to a post 4 years old. However, What I said is going to happen.

Look at a really old post by me that was about a moonraker antenna. (It may have been lost in that "server crash" you guys had a few years ago) I posted it just seeing who would bite and it was radio comedy like you wouldn't believe!! Have a little fun once in a while.

Now, I will use a "smilie" :bsflag: