InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t charge money to post classified ads.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:08 pm 

I am posting this information about my interest (and avatar) regarding this very popular North American VHF railroad antenna as there seems to be some incorrect information on other sites regarding it. To clear the air...

The ASP-16's predecessor was, as far back as I can ascertain, a Farnsworth Radio Laboratories model M500-2. The antennas patent was submitted April 28th, 1947 by Robert G. Schriefer of the Farnsworth Research Corporation of Indiana, and granted November 28th, 1950, number 2,531,476 as an "Ultra-high frequency antenna".

Today's version of the ASP-16 antenna is an omnidirectional, 50 Ohm, all brass, rugged, single band, non-tunable type with a nominal frequency bandwidth of 4 MHz between 158-162 MHz when properly attached to a surface that will provide an acceptable ground plane. Overall length excluding SO-239 is 11 3/8" with a weight of 4lbs 4 oz and a listed power capability of 100 Watts.

<Continued in Part 2>

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.