InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t abuse the 1st Amendment.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

Post subject: BNSF signal replacement
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:09 pm 

I was on a road trip and noticed that from Monroe to the pass that BNSF was replacing the searchlight signals with color lights signals. Were they having issues with the Searchlights?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:18 pm 

Yeah, old. The newer tri-lights are efficient. less moving parts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:04 pm 

There have been documented cases where the displayed color appears as "another" color, RED may appear GREEN, not good. I have a History Channel program that describes a wreck that occured because an Engineer ran a red signal. He swore it was actually green, but no one believed him. Then they went out to check at the actual time of the wreck under similar lighting conditions, and yes indeed the Red signal did appear green to the investigators. It was a combination of backlighting and an aging signal head.

I have been told it is now a requirement that all new signals must have both color and positon aspects, thus the signal heads with multiple lenses. The signals heads give both a color and positon indication for each aspect.

Lucky Dog

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:30 pm 

Lucky Dog wrote:
I have been told it is now a requirement that all new signals must have both color and positon aspects, thus the signal heads with multiple lenses. The signals heads give both a color and positon indication for each aspect.

Not true.

A signal head can display any aspect in any position so long as it only displays one at a time. If you see Red over Green in one signal head, that is not a diverging clear. That is a malfunctioning signal and you should proceed according to the most restrictive indication that signal could display.

A position of a lighted signal in a signal head should not be used to interpret that signal's indication. Always be governed by the color of the light in the signal head, never the position.

I have found many times where a green can appear to be lunar on older signals.