InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that puts patriotism ahead of profits.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

Post subject: Stolen Railroad Radio???
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:14 am 

Found this on Craigslist. I wonder how he got this and he's crazy if he expecting $400 for an Motorola HT1000 A7! They might go for $135 to $175, but not $400! The way he words this, is the spare batt and charger base extra? LOL

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ele/1543147998.html
This is the same type handle-Talkie FM Radio used by main line railroad crews and would be ideal for a Railroad Enthusiast.
I also have spare batt. and charger base.
$400.00/OBO.
Local enquires only please!
John@ 253-858-5003

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:00 am 

it is high, I paid half that for a MTS2000. It could be stolen or he is hoping some railfan will really want this. I think some of the railroads sadly, have surplussed these excellent radios in favor of Kenwoods.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:33 pm 

icom1020 wrote:
it is high, I paid half that for a MTS2000. It could be stolen or he is hoping some railfan will really want this. I think some of the railroads sadly, have surplussed these excellent radios in favor of Kenwoods.

Railroads have been turning to "second tier" landmobile radios across the board. CSX went heavily towards ICOM approx 5 years ago. In a meeting I attended at the beginning of this period, they said that handheld radios are like BIC lighters to them anyway, and by going to the lower tier they buy 2 - 2.5 radios (BICs?) per cost of the old Moneyrolas.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:57 am 

The crews hate the Kenwood handhelds, audio, not as durable. I know of a few who purchased HT and MTS for their own use. I just saw a video of the Ritron Clean Cab which can be upgraded to digital. They dropped it twice and then threw it out of the locomotive and fired it back up. Metal case.

http://www.ritron.com/prod_rccr.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:41 pm 

icom1020 wrote:
The crews hate the Kenwood handhelds, audio, not as durable. I know of a few who purchased HT and MTS for their own use. I just saw a video of the Ritron Clean Cab which can be upgraded to digital. They dropped it twice and then threw it out of the locomotive and fired it back up. Metal case.

A lot of people I have talked to LIKE the TK2180's, and TK-290's. (the UP, and PNWR are both customers of the Kenwood shop I work for) Sure you will get some that did prefer Motorola. Now I will agree in most cases the Motorola units are more durable. I own both Motorola, and Kenwood (I have tried the Icom P25 radios and they are POS's!! The P25 TX audio was the worst of any P25 unit I have tested) the RX performance on my TK280, TK290, or TK5710 will always receive better than my XTS5000's, or 2500's. I use them all at sites with a high RF noise floor and the job for me. I'll be glad to put money on the RX sensitivity a TK2180, or TK290 vrs an HT1250, or Jedi. I'll even bring the service monitor.

The Ritron unit looks interesting, but I have never been a big fan of Ritron. We have a bunch of their call boxes that we maintain, as well as a logging company that has their whole fleet with low band Ritron units. They keep talking about their "tri-mode" units, and the competitors are only "dual mode", or need to be removed to be upgraded. I don't know about the Icom units, but the Kenwood NX700's that are getting installed into the Clean Cab chassis are "tri-mode" out of the box. Ritron defines "tri-mode" units as wide band, narrow band, and 6.25KHz NXDN. They NX700's can be flashed from the front mic jack, so tehy could have firmware upgrades done in the field with no problems, so I don't know why they are pushing that issue so hard. The P25 Icom units I have owned all were also flashed from the front panel but know that the Icom NXDN do require a daughter board to add the digital mode oif not factory installed.

Jim

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:47 pm 

n7maq wrote:
icom1020 wrote:

A lot of people I have talked to LIKE the TK2180's, and TK-290's. (the UP, and PNWR are both customers of the Kenwood shop I work for) Sure you will get some that did prefer Motorola. Now I will agree in most cases the Motorola units are more durable. I own both Motorola, and Kenwood (I have tried the Icom P25 radios and they are POS's!! The P25 TX audio was the worst of any P25 unit I have tested) the RX performance on my TK280, TK290, or TK5710 will always receive better than my XTS5000's, or 2500's. I use them all at sites with a high RF noise floor and the job for me. I'll be glad to put money on the RX sensitivity a TK2180, or TK290 vrs an HT1250, or Jedi. I'll even bring the service monitor.

Jim

I once spoke to a former employee of CN who told me when CN introduced the 2180s to the crew, they really liked them as they were radios that you rarely had to fiddle with you get setup right. I'm not sure what they had before that, but that was the problem before.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:31 am 

It's now going for $250...Still too high...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:15 pm 

sorry to dig up an old thread, I got my hands on a couple of Kenwoods recently and actually like them as much or better than the /\/\ . So I stand corrected on the reliability of the product. Trying to figure out how to enable the DTMF in one of them, TK280 V2. Using KPG49D V 4.20

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:25 pm 

icom1020 wrote:
sorry to dig up an old thread, I got my hands on a couple of Kenwoods recently and actually like them as much or better than the /\/\ . So I stand corrected on the reliability of the product. Trying to figure out how to enable the DTMF in one of them, TK280 V2. Using KPG49D V 4.20

Just don't ever drop them to hard... Ive seen many different Kenwoods die from falling from the top rung of a ladder yet the Motorolas survive drops from various tower heights...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:39 pm 

I saw a Ritron patriot fall over a hundred feet from a tower, and the procedure for restoring the radio to operation was to bend the flattened "springies" back up out of the case to contact the battery pack... Didn't even crack the case... Considering the Ritrons are a "cheap" radio they seeeeem to be durable...