InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t support communism.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

Post subject: sanfran radio
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:07 pm 

Im going to be in downtown sanfran for the next two weeks. anyone have any pointers? do I just want sanfran city trunk or can I pick up Alameda as well from downtown sanfran?

can I go visit M5 Ind.?

Last edited by SpudGunMan on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: sanfran radio
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:41 pm 

I sent you a PM check your "inbox"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:10 pm 

Spud,

I setup trunk system when I was there a few weeks ago. Worked well, but I was not targeting any specific activity. Was visiting some "non-radio" folks, so radio play was at a minimum.

I will say, if you have time, tour Alcatraz. It was great!
I think cost was $33 each, so if it fits your budget it is very interesting.

They even let me out at the end of the day!

Nick
N7QOR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:26 am 

word thanks for the tips guys, I will report in if I find anything fun.

As for the island... I was there once not a lot of footage about the island here (actually about 2 seconds) but a small fun clip of some spud-history-past when I was last in san-fran and went to the rock... yes its bad ass :) just last time I was there I didnt pack radio's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv6R0aO7mEk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:30 pm 

I was in Sanfran back in Oct when I was on strike. I had the
freqs and they worked just fine a lot to listen too. there is a nice town on the other side of the golden gate I think its San Rosa(SP) the hotels are cheaper and cleaner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:13 pm 

Perhaps a bit late on this one.

As for Bay Area Systems of Note:
San Francisco is a good system to monitor but SF is not quite a action packed as some of the other locales across the bay.

SFPD Central, Mission and Bayview are the stations with the most action.

I would definitely program the Oakland PD EDACS system. Oakland is a real violent place and there is always something going on particularly in East Oakland (which is actually South Oakland but that is another story). Oakland is located in Alameda County just across the bay. If you are staying Downtown in the city, you are in a prime location.

In Contra Costa County, the Richmond PD EDACS system would also be a good listen. Smaller than Oakland, it is part of the big four violent cities in the bay area (Oakland, Richmond, Vallejo, East Palo Alto). Richmond is alot slower during the day but the evenings are usually worthy of scanning. This system also gives you El Cerrito, San Pablo, Pinole, and Hercules PDs who are nothing to write home about in their levels of violence but can rock for smaller towns.

BART is another system that can be fun to listen to. Police, trains ops, money collection, and yard operations are all on one system. Something different to listen to but not exactly action packed.

A fun channel to listen used to be KGO-AM Air on 450.2125 R (Various), their traffic spotters are active in the morning and afternoon drive using several aircraft and vehicles. They do alot of coordination and chatter on this channel. I have been gone from the Bay Area as a monitor for a couple of years so this may have freq may changed.

Nordstrom and Macys loss prevention downtown are always beating some street urchin down to those would be good to get off of Radioberns list.

One word of friendly advice: If you do not care to be pegged as a foreigner do not ever under any circumstances refer to the City and County of San Francisco as sanfran or especially not "frisco". FRisco is in Texas. Locals take great umbrage to these terms and goes against the local pride- you will be treated accordingly. I don't even live there anymore and they still make my skin crawl.

Only people who have no connection or affection for 'the city' refer to it as anything other than "The City". There is only one 'City' in the bay area- eveyone know what you are talking about when you say 'the city'. If you use anything other than San Francisco or the 'The City' expect to be treated like a tourist.

In closing, the best Chinese food is at restaurants that have poorly conjugated english names , or no names at all, and have roast duck and a side of pork hanging in the window. If you go for authentic Chinese, then take native speaker with your. The best food it posted on the wall in chinese and no one will translate it for you particularly if you call the place sanfran.

Have a good time and say hi to the bay area for me.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:46 am 

And since we're going off topic, if you're a MythBusters fan, get your picture taken out front of M5 Industries, the guys the Discovery channel hires to do the show. 1268 Missouri ST. M7 is a few blocks away; you can find its exact location on Wikimapia.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:09 am 

commstar wrote:
Perhaps a bit late on this one.

no not late... Im stuck here for a bit. Thanks for the rundown on whats good here. Contra Costa County is awesome system! crime non stop. SFPD is just crazy nonstop bum-fighting. I did hear some dude get stabbed and it was a chicken scatter of police. Last night on a Tac channel I hear two officers go something like this "so you wont believe this, I guess the new trend is to dress up matching the paint on your car" "you gotta come over to XXx and XXX" "on my way" (another officer asks whats so funny) "well this lady matches her car exactly she has a bright red car with a pin stripe and flames and her outfit matches exactly - the best part, she is the same size as the car" (laughter from more then one officer)

I can hold the control for Oakland and sometimes get a voice ch but my hotel is just not in a place to get it solid.

@Taco yea I plan to ... I got another 10 days here plan to get a rental when I break free of work to visit some of the odd spots in the area (like booz at costco) but on that address, when you take a look on google maps I dont think that's where they film the rear of that warehouse is not the same as on TV (they have like a dead end business park on TV) and street view shows construction around with new buildings.

back of that building http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UT ... 0012356246

front of that building http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1& ... 1&ct=image

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:24 pm 

M5 / M7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:38 pm 

that looks better :) if I get time from fighting cybercrime I will take a picture of me infront of M7

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:40 pm 

I believe most of thier stuff is done in Alameda at the old NAS Alameda. They do have many old hangars there that are used for production. As well as some stuff at the old Hunters Point area.

Are you refering to the contra Costa TRS system? or just the conventional stuff like CC Co S.O. and various C.C. PD's???? Those freqs are also VERY active and a good listen.. The Baypoint/Pittsburg/Antioch/Brentwood cities are S.O. territory and they have become very active in the last few years..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:46 pm 

Common filming locations around the Bay Area include decommissioned (closed) military facilities (such as Naval Air Station Alameda, Naval Station Treasure Island, Hunters Point Naval Shipyard, Mare Island Naval Shipyard, and Hamilton Air Force Base), and the Alameda County Sheriff's Bomb Squad and Firearm range. Occasionally, mainly for special episodes, production moves out of state, or even out of the country. --Wikipedia

Too bad they won't let you into the bomb range; THAT would be something awesome to see if you knew they were filming that day.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:03 pm 

found a handy sheet for sfpd "MIR" (as they are mostly dispatch codes) (its not new or anything CA has had the same codes for a long time, i just like the format... in the process of converting all my others to small excel font version ...just never thought to clean mine up)

thought the non WA 10 code list might be handy to others however as well as to just post up for a google link if anyone else looks up

Attachments:
SFPD_Radio_Codes.zip [26.89 KiB]
Downloaded 78 times

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:04 am 

cool, big city...

TG12880 A2

a group of people are locked up in a apartment with weapons and they have the swat team trying to get into the room but the guy rigged up weapons to blow on door open. full swat full SFPD emergency response. haven't heard crazy like this in a while.