InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t infect your computer with malware.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:25 am 

How would you organize it?

I'm thinking by county, obviously.... with M/A and I/O at the end...

Now, if it's by county, what order do you put the counties in?

Part of me says most used to least used, but part of me says regional, another says alphabetical, and yet another part of me says to follow major roadways, and the counties along those roadways, Ie I5 and 90..

I really wish /\/\ got on the bandwagon with continuous rotary channel selection on their portables...Makes it really difficult when you have a zone with 3 channels, and a zone with 19 channels....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:21 am 

TechnoWeenie wrote:

I really wish /\/\ got on the bandwagon with continuous rotary channel selection on their portables...Makes it really difficult when you have a zone with 3 channels, and a zone with 19 channels....

They do. That's the biggest complaint I have from my LE guys. They want a stop on each end so they can be on their primary and tac without having to look. Depends on the model.

Id go by region myself. (State police regions) Only because we are used to that. Hope you have more than just a couple of people working this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:24 pm 

chpalmer wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

They do. That's the biggest complaint I have from my LE guys. They want a stop on each end so they can be on their primary and tac without having to look. Depends on the model.

That's what channel announcement is for.

Quote:
I'd go by region myself. (State police regions) Only because we are used to that. Hope you have more than just a couple of people working this.

But then you have areas like District 1, and 2, with MULTIPLE state, county, and local agencies... Fire, PD, DEM, and that doesn't include stuff like DNR. I could easily see 100 channels in a single zone if it were set up regionally.

Even as it is, I think I'm gonna need multiple zones for some counties...Even if just to sort out PD and FD, or county vs city. For example, I have a SPD zone, SFD zone, KCSO zone, and 'KCFD' zone, and that's just one county.

I appreciate the input. Just hoping there was something I wasn't thinking of, to make things easier.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:15 pm 

....and CPS just crashed on me.. ruining 2 hours of work....

I wanna throw my toughbook against the wall, but then I'd have a hole in the wall... and the damn laptop would still work....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:52 am 

TechnoWeenie wrote:
chpalmer wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Yea- In the dead of the night while your trying to sneak up to a location..

But depends on the number of radios in total. If its only 100 then by region split up into areas you can reach from various hotels you will need to stay in. If its closer to 2000 then you need more than one person if your going to try and accomplish this by the end of the year.

There are a few here that do this for a living as well and may be available if you need. Cheaper to pay locals than to buy gas and hotels..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:51 am 

chpalmer wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
chpalmer wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

Yea- In the dead of the night while your trying to sneak up to a location..

LOL. Funny story with channel announcement... I was @ a motel, waiting for a job to start the next day... Let's just say cheap motels have issues with prostitutes, and sometimes you forget that channel announcement occurs when you first turn on the radio. Channel announcement makes prostitutes disappear for some reason. Heh.

Quote:
But depends on the number of radios in total. If its only 100 then by region split up into areas you can reach from various hotels you will need to stay in. If its closer to 2000 then you need more than one person if your going to try and accomplish this by the end of the year.

There are a few here that do this for a living as well and may be available if you need. Cheaper to pay locals than to buy gas and hotels..

It's just me.

Recent events set me off on an interop thing.

You don't always have time to consult multiple codeplugs to get freq information then either reprogram on fly or FPP it.

I've decided on most frequently used first, by county, in order of WSP, County, City (if applicable). Then interop zones, then federal, then the remaining 30 counties that I'll never be in. lol

I need to travel some more, do some SIGINT and map out more of IWN in terms of what TGs are used in what area and what's in the clear and what's not. TOS isn't very accurate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:38 am 
Mr. Bad Example

If you were doing it for a client, you'd have the latest, accurate info (usually).

If you're doing it for yourself, why a radio? Who does a ham need to talk to on WSP freqs?

TOS commentary= precisely. They still have an person's name listed as a talkgroup (it's a private call ID)...But at least there's a secret statewide DOC P25 system that doesn't exist!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:56 am 

Wilrobnson wrote:
If you were doing it for a client, you'd have the latest, accurate info (usually).

If you're doing it for yourself, why a radio?
Simulcast reception on scanners is %$*@. Can't talk on a scanner, so you're adding more devices. My portable supports it so why not use it?

Quote:

Who does a ham need to talk to on WSP freqs?

Who said anything about talking to staties?

Quote:

TOS commentary= precisely. They still have an person's name listed as a talkgroup (it's a private call ID)...But at least there's a secret statewide DOC P25 system that doesn't exist!

You noticed her too, eh? I was like.. WTF? That's the kinda stuff you put in there intentionally to know when someone stole your info

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:06 pm 
Angus Cheeseburger

Quote: If you're doing it for yourself, why a radio? Who does a ham need to talk to on WSP freqs?

When you need to let them know your side of the story before they arrive.

Like the guy who did this a few years back. Oh Yeah!

Jim N7UAP - Bellingham, WA / InterceptRadio.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:29 pm 

Jim wrote:
Quote: If you're doing it for yourself, why a radio? Who does a ham need to talk to on WSP freqs?

When you need to let them know your side of the story before they arrive.

Like the guy who did this a few years back. Oh Yeah!

LOL. People can't be that stupid.. I take that back.. I'm sure they are...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:13 pm 
Mr. Bad Example

TX disabled, huh?

--

Anyhow, I had the pleasure of seeing a codeplug for a radio programmed for most of the country a few years ago (for a specialized .gov mission) and it was a shambles. Even with the unlimited (ha!) radio-doing-stuff of DHS, it was obsolete about a second after the programming cable was unplugged.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:50 pm 

Wow- Ive seriously got to get my glasses checked. I thought radio was plural.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:20 am 

Wilrobnson wrote:
TX disabled, huh?

In a roundabout way, yeah. FPP gives you options.

Between code required to turn the radio on, and separate code to access FPP on protected zones, I don't have to worry about unauthorized users effing with it.

If you slave a zone/channel assignment to a personality, and select that personality as RX only, you're effed, so that's always rx only, so you can't reassign it on the fly. I can , however, assign an invalid TX freq. say 144.0 Mhz, which allows me to completely reassign that channel if need be, by modifying the name, and all parameters RX/TX freq, PL/DCS/NAC, etc.

Quote:
--

Anyhow, I had the pleasure of seeing a codeplug for a radio programmed for most of the country a few years ago (for a specialized .gov mission) and it was a shambles. Even with the unlimited (ha!) radio-doing-stuff of DHS, it was obsolete about a second after the programming cable was unplugged.

Oh, I know.. I get it...

I wanted to get all the interop stuff in there, just gave me an excuse to redo it. Usually you get a good bit of notice before a radio system changes, and the interop stuff will always be there, so, I expect to not have to touch it for a couple years after I program it...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:21 am 

chpalmer wrote:
Wow- Ive seriously got to get my glasses checked. I thought radio was plural.

Good luck!

TY.

I figured it'll take 4 hours or so, without interruption, or issues with CPS.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:06 am 

Wilrobnson wrote:

And..oh look.. a day later it's changed...

Jeez...

Still plenty of errors, but... It's getting ridiculous...

Anyway...

Drug detection dogs - SeaTac airport = 4655
USCG OPS Ocean Shores = 5252

Hex.

Anyone ever heard of gary army airfield? lol