InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t molest your screen with advertisements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

Post subject: TRX-1 sensitivity?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:17 am 

I did a head-to-head with my BCD436HP vs an ancient Pro-97...oh dear, the slick new one is deaf as a stone. The local agencies are so low in volume as to make the radio unusable. Oddly, Seattle PD (farther away) away comes in quite clear. The Pro-97 kicks ass and everything is nice and loud. But of course it's old and not digital...so, I was thinking about a TRX-1. All the digital modes are well reviewed but I can't find anything about sensitivity. Anyone have experience?

Post subject: Re: TRX-1 sensitivity?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:57 pm 

kc6pqe wrote:
I did a head-to-head with my BCD436HP vs an ancient Pro-97...oh dear, the slick new one is deaf as a stone. The local agencies are so low in volume as to make the radio unusable. Oddly, Seattle PD (farther away) away comes in quite clear. The Pro-97 kicks ass and everything is nice and loud. But of course it's old and not digital...so, I was thinking about a TRX-1. All the digital modes are well reviewed but I can't find anything about sensitivity. Anyone have experience?

Did you set the 800 Mhz systems to NFM? That will make it sound louder if you left everything FM. Make sure your ATTenuator is not enabled either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:14 pm 

Thanks for the ideas. The agency I'm interested in is in the 155Mhz band and tha attenuator was the first thing I checked. I just ordered the TRX, so I'm going to be very interested to see how well it works. I'd keep using the Pro, but the key contacts are completely worn out.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:07 pm 

Well, I've had the TRX1 for a couple of days now. Compared to the Uniden, it has a prototype feel. Steep learning curve to program but I now have it all set up the way I want. So far, the sensitivity is great. Biggest thing I miss is the lack of a sleep timer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:59 pm 

kc6pqe wrote:
Compared to the Uniden, it has a prototype feel.

I have no clue what that means. The TRX is much better than the 436HP, IMHO -- and I'm a Uniden guy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:52 pm 
Mr. Bad Example

kc6pqe wrote:
Well, I've had the TRX1 for a couple of days now. Compared to the Uniden, it has a prototype feel.

Not tracking on that one either.

Best way it's been explained to me is:

Quote:
Unidens are for Joe Sixpack scannists who buy the radio, download the database from (another site) and listen to one channel/TGID. The guy who turns his radio on for 5 minutes, doesn't hear anything and turns it off with a comment like "There's nothing going on today". Whistler/GREs are for the smarter set, who recognize the primer manual as just that and enjoy tinkering/experimenting/learning.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:57 pm 

Wilrobnson wrote:
kc6pqe wrote:
Well, I've had the TRX1 for a couple of days now. Compared to the Uniden, it has a prototype feel.

Not tracking on that one either.

Best way it's been explained to me is:

Quote:
Unidens are for Joe Sixpack scannists who buy the radio, download the database from (another site) and listen to one channel/TGID. The guy who turns his radio on for 5 minutes, doesn't hear anything and turns it off with a comment like "There's nothing going on today". Whistler/GREs are for the smarter set, who recognize the primer manual as just that and enjoy tinkering/experimenting/learning.

The homopatrol..

Reminds me of hams that are appliance operators....

Nothing wrong with it per se, but kinda goes against the general idea of the hobby. IMHO, half is learning new stuff and implementing it....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:49 pm 

By prototype feel, I was referring to the square, clunky package, the impossible to remove rubber bumper, the crude display, short battery life, blah, blah. Not talking about the electronics. I agree the receiver is superior.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:19 pm 
Mr. Bad Example

kc6pqe wrote:
By prototype feel, I was referring to the square, clunky package, the impossible to remove rubber bumper, the crude display, short battery life, blah, blah. Not talking about the electronics. I agree the receiver is superior.

The rubber case is simple to remove. Push your thumb on the back of the radio where the belt clip goes and pull the bottom of the front rubber casing away. Push downwards slightly and out. I wasn't a fan of it until TSA roughed up all of my stuff once....Then I dropped one of the radios...The dog...Etc.

The display is customizable, but I don't care. I have mine set to display what I feel I need. No need for Uniden fanboy bells and whistles.

Battery life? I haven't run any of mine off the batteries in over a year. I use an external power pack, i.e. Anker powercore. In the car, in my bag at the airport of the day, or even home/work (if I'm not using a wall wart). The AA batts are for backup.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Wilrobnson wrote:
I use an external power pack, i.e. Anker powercore

+1 on this product. Have the same model and beyond satisfied with it. Powers the 5V ports on the scanner, shortwave, and handheld laser projector with ample capacity.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:30 pm 

kc6pqe, you are aware that earlier models of the 436HP have poor VHF/UHF performance due to a missing capacitor..? Apparently the battery charging circuits can cause enough RFI that it affects rubber duck performance.

When did you buy your 436HP? What are the first 5 digits of your serial number?

Uniden is [quietly] offering a free mainboard replacement for affected units.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:19 am 

Thanks, that's why I frequent this forum.
I was not aware of the capacitor issue. I'll look into it.