InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t molest your screen with advertisements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

Post subject: Since when.....
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:33 pm 

......has there been 8,093,397.5 certifications for radio?

* RANT MODE ON *

Many moons ago, when I got started, there was the GROL, and that was about it.. Maybe an oddball EE degree, but for the most part it was DIY training...

Now, it's not just MECP, but there are additional 'emergency vehicle certifications'.. and there are like 92 and a half different certifications and levels just to install a siren into a car, really?

Motorola doesn't only offer 1 or 2 different classes anymore, there are 84 and a third different classes required, each with its own requirement...

On top of that, outside of .gov, people are paying 13-16 an hour, with MANDATORY unions in some spots, which means I'm gonna lose a buck or 2 an hour to pay the union dues with.. What BS is this?

Now I gotta pay a couple grand for certifications to prove that I know I shouldn't connect my 900 mhz Quantar to RG6 to run up the tower 120'?

Grrr......

Ugh. What happened to common sense interviews 'This is what's happening, what would you do to find the problem and what would you do to fix it?'..

Hell my last radio interview had me drawing a DPDT relay setup for switching audio from mobile speaker inside the vehicle to external speaker, like WTF...

* RANT MODE OFF *

Seriously though, anyone got a decent list of 'must have' certifications so I can get back to benching radios for decent money and telling cops to stop yanking on their antennas to pull them out of their holster? :D

Post subject: Re: Since when.....
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:25 pm 
Mr. Bad Example

Why ask on a hobbyist site, you elitist Commie puke?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:07 pm 

I was just in a union for about 8 months.

Granted the wage I earned was over 3 times what you suggest at the base - and with OT it ended up averaging 6+ times, (I made a shitload of money on that job!) but my dues were $50/ month, period. Flat rate. And it was a big union.

The "buck or two an hour to the Union" is just not true in my experience. They used to get us a lot more money per hour before they started getting neutered too. Some of my coworkers were a lot lower than me - like what you were suggesting - but they were either lower performers or a hassle to deal with, or both. So they got minimum scale.

I do wish you the best tho. It's tough out there.

I carry over a dozen active licenses / certifications for my work. A couple are actual L&I licenses with (highly restricted) CEU requirements. 1 of them you have to do 4000 qualified hours just to sit for the test. I get it. Most people I know fail at least once. I've seen a few never pass.

Seems like a lot, but nobody forced me into my chosen trade.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

Certifications in the tech industry did nothing other than create a market for selling classes on how to pass the test without understanding the material.

Likewise, places that require certifications not legally needed and won't speak with people otherwise often times end up with clueless employees who were hired by people even more clueless.

Anybody worth their salt with any sense of professional standards wouldn't want to work for a place like that. Hands-on experience and knowledge are worth much more than a piece of paper.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:02 am 
Mr. Bad Example

Yeah, the union part threw me for a loop as well. I've been a Teamster and under UAW (it was our only option) as well as various Guilds over the years, and dues were either a flat rate ($30-70/month) or a negligible percentage (something on the order of 1% off gross pay, i.e. a $2600 paycheck paid $26 union dues).
---------
https://www.motorolasolutions.com/en_us ... ining.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:46 pm 
Bringer of Light

I'm trying to find the "training" where self-proclaimed public safety radio communication genuises were told that FirstNet was designed to replace LMR. Can someone point me in the right direction so I can spew more mis-information like the rest of the "drive by media?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:58 am 

jrw14493 wrote:
I'm trying to find the "training" where self-proclaimed public safety radio communication genuises were told that FirstNet was designed to replace LMR. Can someone point me in the right direction so I can spew more mis-information like the rest of the "drive by media?"

I seem to remember this was a concept FirstNet was aiming for eventually...I'm guessing this "fact" came from a misunderstood quote.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:41 pm 
Mr. Bad Example

https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ ... 0-oct-2017

Quote:
Required Qualifications:
High School diploma or equivalent.
Valid driver's license.
Two years of formal education or training in electronics, and two years of paid experience in maintenance and repair of at least two of the following:  two-way radio systems and equipment, digital and analog microwave carrier systems, wireless and wired data network systems.

Quote:
Preferred/Desired Qualifications:
General Radiotelephone Operator License issued by the Federal Communications Commission, technician certification by the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials (APCO), or similar professional certifications.
Strong background in LMR trunking technology and P25 digital communications.
Strong background in analog and digital carrier grade microwave systems.
Strong background in IP/MPLS technology and systems.
Good understanding of Internet Protocol based systems and technology.
Experience and understanding of computer based applications.
Knowledge and understanding of computer networks, wiring standards, and protocols.
Technical writing ability and good communication skills.
Demonstrated customer service skills.
Resourcefulness in problem solving.
Self-motivated.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:47 pm 

SERS is hiring two
http://sers800.org/employment/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:12 pm 

This is what you will do:
This position will function as the primary point of contact for radio codeplug development and management, working closely with the LMR System Administrator. This position provides final Quality Assurance on codeplug changes and updates, and tracks and distributes Advanced System Keys for radio programming.

Wow it’s like they have been following me around. Yakima...pass. Do not collect $200

Wilrobnson wrote:
https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/washington/jobs/1789024/electronic-communications-systems-technician-shop-0835-0340-oct-2017

Quote:
Required Qualifications:
High School diploma or equivalent.
Valid driver's license.
Two years of formal education or training in electronics, and two years of paid experience in maintenance and repair of at least two of the following:  two-way radio systems and equipment, digital and analog microwave carrier systems, wireless and wired data network systems.

Quote:
Preferred/Desired Qualifications:
General Radiotelephone Operator License issued by the Federal Communications Commission, technician certification by the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials (APCO), or similar professional certifications.
Strong background in LMR trunking technology and P25 digital communications.
Strong background in analog and digital carrier grade microwave systems.
Strong background in IP/MPLS technology and systems.
Good understanding of Internet Protocol based systems and technology.
Experience and understanding of computer based applications.
Knowledge and understanding of computer networks, wiring standards, and protocols.
Technical writing ability and good communication skills.
Demonstrated customer service skills.
Resourcefulness in problem solving.
Self-motivated.