InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t abuse the 1st Amendment.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:25 pm 

I still have one of those but I'm not sure where it is... probably in a massive junk pile of electronics gear in the basement. It was just a basic freq counter -- I think 25-2GHZ or something like that but it did work OK. I'm pretty sure mine was from Optoelectronics.

I remember these being quite hot back in the late 90s... but wasn't there a fancy version where it detected the "mode" of the RF signal as well? I swore I saw one of these... it had one of the first LCD displays (on a freq counter) and it told you everything from the CTCCS tone, DPL, RF signal strength and I thought the very last version told you the mode as well... like AM, NFM, FM, WFM...

I'm still doing research but here's one company that is still around: http://www.startekvideo.com/FREQ%20CTRS.htm

Prices aren't cheap and nowadays, you can use CloseCall or SignalStalker just as easy.

Here's an interesting option: https://www.amazon.com/Surecom-SF401-PL ... B01AOTJH6Y

Last edited by nickcarr on Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:27 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:21 pm 

I still have my Optoelectronics Scout. It works great.
I bought a Surecom from Amazon a couple of months ago because of the decode and digital capability. It was back in the box with a return shipping label in under a hour. It does not work as advertised. Would not decode ctcss nine times out of ten. Often times it would not even display a two meter simplex frequency regardless of being near or far from the counter. Feels really cheap and the long button presses required to power on and or off was just stupid.
I knew it was too good to be true but I gave it a shot. I was satisfied with the cheap DMR chinese radios to toy with but the counter is a bust in my opinion. YMMV though.

Vince.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 11:49 am 

Thanks Vince -- you probably saved me some time by not buying and returning it back to Amazon. They have a good return policy but still... they do carry a lot of junk from overseas... some good and some bad. Mostly bad. :)