InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t try to hose its users for money.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:14 pm 

I'm doing this strictly as a "service announcement" to our members... to anyone that owns a Uniden 436 or 536 scanner.

Uniden has released their DMR firmware. It will be made available to the world next week via Sentinel firmware upgrade option.

Starting next week the upgrade price goes up in cost.

The upgrade key costs $50 now. I'm guessing it'll go up to $75 -- and per Uniden, the FINAL price increase will take effect around October 1st -- again, I'm guessing to $99.

So if you have ANY desire to monitor DMR [MotoTRBO] then you might want to think about getting the upgrade now -- even if you're not excited about using it.

FWIW, from what I've seen in user-posted videos, the Whistler TRX scanners are behind on firmware bugs. The Uniden firmware is pretty solid -- especially with DMR systems around the Seattle-area. I'm sure that Uniden/Whistler will catch up to each other but the 436/536, IMHO, has the better LCD display for monitoring DMR. Also, there's an impressive Custom Search function for DMR. I've yet to use this feature personally, but in user-posted videos, it appears to be quite effective.

Yes, there is a new version of Sentinel that is required for programming; however, you can program directly from the scanner if you wish. It's actually not that bad to program from the scanner directly but any text labels will take time. Feel free to ask any questions in this thread. I've got a pretty good handle on how it works now so ask away...

Anyway, upgrade now or forever hold your water. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:21 pm 

nickcarr wrote:

Yes, there is a new version of Sentinel that is required for programming;
Anyway, upgrade now or forever hold your water. :)

1.06 or is it newer?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:57 pm 

1.07.3 is the release firmware and Sentinel version.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:19 pm 

If a dude happened to wait to buy one of these until after release, is it safe to assume we get that firmware?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:31 pm 

N7QOR wrote:
If a dude happened to wait to buy one of these until after release, is it safe to assume we get that firmware?

Negative. You're buying just an upgrade key. So everyone will get the firmware but if you don't have a DMR validation key then you won't unlock the DMR features of the firmware.

And no you can't buy the key unless you already own a 436 or 536 scanner because the DMR key is computed upon your serial number (Uniden ESN) value.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:35 pm 

I have no insight but I suppose Uniden could release an already unlocked model with both the ProVoice and DMR features enabled... it sounds marketable but would anyone really pay $700 for a scanner?

Now if the TRX scanners end up having serious problems then I would expect Uniden to take full advantage! ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:50 pm 

nickcarr wrote:
1.07.3 is the release firmware and Sentinel version.

NM Just read the FAQ http://info.uniden.com/twiki/bin/view/U ... dioUpgrade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:00 pm 

I have installed the beta firmware on my BCD436HP from the first release. It was fun to learn to program from the scanner and not from the computer. I enjoyed seeing it evolve to where it is now. Hopefully all manufacturers will follow this model. It was frustrating reading the posts from those that have so many problems reading simple password and install directions. The beta clearly stated they were a work in progress, but basic computer skills are required.

Vince.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:22 am 

freqseeker wrote:
I have installed the beta firmware on my BCD436HP from the first release. It was fun to learn to program from the scanner and not from the computer. I enjoyed seeing it evolve to where it is now. Hopefully all manufacturers will follow this model.

I think this was a one-time situation. I don't think they'll do this for the NXDN firmware as it should be a little easier since Kenwood is primary vendor. I think Uniden will just rely upon its trusted group of beta testers.

freqseeker wrote:
It was frustrating reading the posts from those that have so many problems reading simple password and install directions. The beta clearly stated they were a work in progress, but basic computer skills are required.

Yes... too many inexperienced computer/scanner users were in the beta. I'm sure Uniden didn't mind though as it made them easy ca$h. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:18 pm 
Mr. Bad Example

Now I understand the "bait and switch" part.