InterceptRadio.com Forums

The radio website that doesn’t molest your screen with advertisements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forums       Map Search       Database Search       Live Audio       Alerts       Wiki

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:05 pm 

ADDENDUM:

I'm informed by a reliable source that way back in the "UHF" era, Seattle Fire had more than 30 voting receivers in play, . . . and it wasn't until the signal capture itself became so degraded that they would deploy a tech to go out and inspect the system - only then to find multiple receivers with corrosion and / or in an offline condition. Many moons ago I also recall seeing some of the old GE Master base stations growing fungus within.

Real time system monitoring ( $$$ ) hadn't been invented yet. Oh wait, I don't have that yet either.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:41 am 

To the issue of UHF coverage, when I worked in a 36 story building at 2nd and Marion, we had a 458.800 receiver in a rack with a wireline on one side and a long run of coax on the other.

I never actually saw the "elevator end" of the run but was told it was a leaky coax coiled at the base.

I often wondered how many other buildings downtown had similar installs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:56 am 

MTM wrote:

The old Ozark Hotel fire back in the 1970's made everyone in the city of Seattle as well as the entire US of A -- sit up - and take notice of the need to make new laws and new needed safety products to protect everyone from needless fires such as the Ozark Hotel.

When you check into a hotel on your next vacation trip somewhere - and your hotel room has a Fire Detector in it - it is because of the Ozark Hotel fire and the City of Seattle Fire codes.

I turn the soapbox over to someone else now. MTM

This might explain something....Back in 2008, I was with a friend in Seattle who was looking at buying/leasing (differing on the price) a building; we ran across this one 4 story building that was south of King St Station that I'm pretty sure is long gone now. When we went inside with the real estate broker, we noticed that the top two floors were inaccessible; the broker had no idea why, but when we were in the oddly retrofitted stairwell, there was a giant placard that said "In Compliance with the City of Seattle ordinances regarding fire safety, this building is legally a 2 story building" and we noticed there was bricks where the top two levels doors were.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:45 pm 

KPMG is not a radio station but a worldwide accounting and consulting firm that supports going green. Formerly KPMG Peat Marwick - merged in 1987 Peat Marwick International (PMI) and Klynveld Main Goerdier (KMG).